Ranco temp controller

Started by CT Smoker, May 30, 2008, 07:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT Smoker

Is anyone currently using this temp controller?

http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html?osCsid=13b1da6de163d77fb54df0e55ae80abb

If so, how is it working out? I just ordered an OBS and have been feverishly reading through these great forums for tips, tricks and recipes while I wait for its arrival. One thing I keep seeing is the need for additional temp control. Apparently the temp swings from a un-modified unit can be pretty big. I'm pretty anal about keeping my smoker at a set temperature when smoking. That is one of the reasons I'm making the switch to electric after years of babysiting my propane smoker.
Anyway, I'm looking for something accurate and relatively inexpensive that can be installed without a degree in electrical engineering.
I've even considered a temp control device used for water heaters. Has anyone tried one of those?

Please be kind....I'm new here ;)

Thanks in advance,

Brian
There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory

Toker

Hi and welcome on this forum i dont curently use this unit (just bought it on ebay but didnt received yet) according to other post that i red its seems very good. Just replace your short cord by the one from the ranco and plug it behind the obs slide your temp bar all over on and adjust your desired internal pit temp and there you go....Just keep in mind that your smoke generator ALONE can heat at 180F on a summer temp so you might want to build your self a cold smoke setup to go with it for cold temp like 110F up to 170F. Still not sure about the diferencial thing but someone suggested me to set it at 5 to start. hpe it helped dont forget to put the ranco probe inside the smoker for reading internal temp.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: BDCNE on May 30, 2008, 07:15:26 AMPlease be kind....I'm new here ;)

Brian,
That's one thing you don't have to worry about here.  Everyone is real nice to newbies here.  When you get a little time under your belt and start revealing more of yourself, that's when they'll attack like a pack of ravenous wolves on a newborn fawn  ;D.  Only kidding, this is a great group of folks and they'll do just about anything for ya and help in any way that they can.

I've not used the Ranco type PID but do use a PID with my OBS.  It is by far the best investment I've made for my smoking soirees.  It makes it as set it and forget it as you can get.

There are some great electrical minds in this group that should come along and help.....unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Welcome to the forum,

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

aces-n-eights

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.  I'm not familiar with this controller, but it might be a temperature switch instead of a PID.  As i understand it a PID is like a rheostat that gradually adds or subtracts power to your heater to maintain a set temp.  A temp switch is either full on or full off to bracket the set temp.  Looks like a neat unit and if it is a PID, the price definitely seems good.

Happy smoking!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

CT Smoker

Thanks guys. I was hoping to hear from someone who is using this unit, but I DO appreciate ALL of your input and advice. This really is a great group! Nice, knowledgable people. Some of whom seem to be almost as obsessive as me ;) I look forward to learning as much as I can about using this smoker to it's full capability. If you can think of any other tips, please, let me have it.
I guess, as long as I don't see anything negative about the Ranco in the next few days, I'll order one up and give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I can always us it for something else. Unless anyone can suggest a better system that is affordable and not too difficult to set up. Again, I'm no electricain, but I think I sort of understand the basics. I can also follow diagrams. I've also been looking at the TET612 by ColdfusionX. It looks like it would probaly be more accurate, but I'm not sure how to wire it or if I'll need a relay or anything. Anyone using one that can help me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Digital-F-C-PID-Temperature-Control-Controller_W0QQitemZ250223164271QQihZ015QQcategoryZ50926QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Thanks again,

Brian

CT Smoker

I've not used the Ranco type PID but do use a PID with my OBS.  It is by far the best investment I've made for my smoking soirees.  It makes it as set it and forget it as you can get.
There are some great electrical minds in this group that should come along and help.....unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Welcome to the forum,

SD
[/quote]

Thanks SD. Which PID do you use? Was it easy to set up? How accurate is it? What's the investment?

Brian

Smoking Duck

Hey Brian,

I have an Auber PID.  I was fortunate enough to have a very good friend make one for me.  I believe the cost to make it was about $90.  It is extremely simple to set up and use.

There are others here who could help with the Auber.  Unfortunately, I'm about as useless as a milk bucket under a bull when it comes to electronics.  But, that should tell you how easy it is to use if a simpleton like me can run it flawlessly.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

CT Smoker

Thanks SD,
Unfortunately, my friends have NO electrical skills. I am also considering Auber's 'plug-n-play' model. It seems like a true plug-n-play PID. Which is perfect for someone like me; completely obsessive about temperature control, yet too lazy and un-skilled to build my own PID.
I guess I'll first check my OBS, when it arrives, to see how wildly the temperature swings. Then decide which PID to get.

Thanks again,

Brian

P.S.
Love the 'milk bucket under a bull' line ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: BDCNE on June 01, 2008, 07:36:00 PM
I guess I'll first check my OBS, when it arrives, to see how wildly the temperature swings.

BDCNE,

Since the OBS has a rheostat, it really won't swing. It settles in where you set it. The trick is to get it set at what temp you want (in this case, you are the control element). After some experience, most can dial it in pretty easily.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Sausage Maker

Used mine for two years now

I couldn't make 1/2 the stuff I do without it.

I have mine wired as a meat probe.  (shuts everything down when the meat hits the set temp)
A must have for making bacon, hams and sausage
soylent green is people

CT Smoker

WOW! Now THAT'S a set up! I'll bet you can smoke a whole herd of cattle at once with that bad boy.
So you're using the Ranco unit to shut it down when the meat is done (GREAT IDEA) but, does it turn it back on when the meat cools and the temp drops below it's done point? Also, what are you using to regulate oven temp? What's the Atkins unit doing?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm just really intrigued

Brian

P.S.
With a smoker that big, I'd love to see the size of the beer cooler that goes with it ;)

CT Smoker

BDCNE,

Since the OBS has a rheostat, it really won't swing. It settles in where you set it. The trick is to get it set at what temp you want (in this case, you are the control element). After some experience, most can dial it in pretty easily.

Arcs_n_Sparks
[/quote]

Really? So, your saying if I can manually dial it in to 200F and smoke a pork shoulder for 10-12 hours, will it stay at approximately 200F throughout the smoking process on its own? Because, that's really what I'm looking for. I can deal with a degree or two fluctuation. Just not 10-20 degrees. What can I expect to see with an OBS?
I've read that there are pretty big temp swings on the DBS. Is that not the case with the original? If so, I'm even more glad I ordered the OBS. Maybe I don't need a PID after all.

Thanks Arcs,

Brian

Arcs_n_Sparks

BDCNE,

It will vary over time as the load comes up to temperature. Also, varying the vent setting can have a significant affect (starting more open to drive off moisture, then closing up). For some, an excuse to hang out with an adult beverage to check on it every couple of hours. Others just want to set-and-forget, so they go the thermostat/PID route. Had mine for a year before I built my PID, mostly to hold a tighter temperature for sausages.

Many members have used the OBS as-is with great results.

Arcs_n_Sparks

CT Smoker

Thanks again Arcs,
My OBS should be here this week. Can't wait! I'm gonna try smoking some ribs & wings this weekend for her maiden voyage. If I have trouble dialing it in, I can always look into the PID thing. With the help of the forum, of course.

Thanks again to all!

sodak

The thermistor cable on the Ranco appears (in the picture) to be some sort of siliconized rubber.  Do you think it would be okay to run this inside a LP smoker I'm custom building?  I don't plan to run it higher than the 220 degrees spec'd out on the data sheets.  I would place it in the upper third of the chamber away from the LP flame, obviously.  Or, is there another probe for connection into the digital switch?  Something like the type used in the PID you folks have built.  I'm thinking this would be a great switch hooked up to the transformer that runs the LP valve to turn the burners on and off.

TBS, what type of probe are you using in the meat to shut down completely?  Sounds like a great idea.  I'm taking pictures of the construction, by the way, and should have them posted in the next 30-45 days.