Coreing jalapenos

Started by westexasmoker, May 31, 2008, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Ok this is the second weekend I've cored the jalapenos for rats (abt) and I'm conviced its the best way to go, I can pipe it alot tighter with the goodie, with no loss whatsoever!  Question is I've been using a potato peeler to core them out, which works well, but is there a better tool..untenisl??

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

huhwhatliar

They say home is where family is not......

Habanero Smoker

I use a hand held apple coring, that I found in a Grand Union supermarket a few years back.

It looked similar to this, but cost around $3.00. I'm sure if you look around in your local department stores, and/or supermarkets you can find one.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-20181-Good-Grips-Corer/dp/B00004OCIQ/ref=pd_sim_k_img_3/104-1331321-1012745

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kurt

Are you leaving the peppers whole instead of cutting them in half westex? And then packing the cheese in? I'm just wondering. I have about 10 peppers ready to go for this afternoon and am still debating on which way to do it. Thanks ahead of time Westex.

westexasmoker

Yep just wacking the tops off and then stuffing them.  I used to cut them in half leaving the stem on, hence why there called rats in my neck of the woods, but I've found with coreing them I can pack them much tighter!  I cover the cut off end with a piece of thin deli ham and then wrap with bacon, give it a whirl...but either way you go there great (hey I just quoted Tony the Tiger)   ;D

C

NePaSmoKer

huhwhatliar

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 01, 2008, 06:29:16 PM
Quote from: huhwhatliar on May 31, 2008, 04:06:31 PM
WTS, I got a jalapeño coring tool from cabelas. It works good. Here is the link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029210517372a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=jalapeno&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=jalapeno&noImage=0

Domenick

There ya go Domenick........A Cabelas shoper.

We got em for the same price in the store.

nepas

NePa if you have seen all the things I have from them, The Ft. Worth store is 15 minutes from me  ;D

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

pensrock

I would be willing to try one, it looks like it would work well. But I live 4-1/2 hours away from the nearest Cabelas and its not worth paying the shipping on an item under five bucks. I'll have to keep it in mind if I place order for something else sometime later this year. I do have an apple corer like Habs suggested, I'll also give that a try. I have been using a small teaspoon to scoop out the seeds.

tturaider

Quote from: westexasmoker on June 01, 2008, 10:25:30 AM
Yep just wacking the tops off and then stuffing them.  I used to cut them in half leaving the stem on, hence why there called rats in my neck of the woods, but I've found with coreing them I can pack them much tighter!  I cover the cut off end with a piece of thin deli ham and then wrap with bacon, give it a whirl...but either way you go there great (hey I just quoted Tony the Tiger)   ;D

C

Hey WT do you still stuff em with meat and c cheese or just the c cheese?

k
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

westexasmoker

I usually do a layer of shreded cheddar and if I have some left over meat from friday nights grill session then dice it up very fine and layer of that on top of the cheddar and then topped off with cream cheese.  This weekend I think I'll mix everything together and the pipe the mixture in, that way the flavors will run throughout!

C

West Coast Kansan

The mixing works well.  I had always done mine whole but then got into cutting them in half after some posts here.  My shirts are a lot cleaner now...  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)