Reveo Update...

Started by gscheig, March 23, 2008, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gscheig

Good news - got the new lids from Reveo (with the help of SmokinMoe :D), and got a great seal, no leaks, big "whoosh" when I opened the valve, no comparison to before

Bad news - tonight I made shish kabobs (on the grill).  I put two sirloins worth of cubed meat in the reveo, added some cubed fresh pineapple and a bottle of "Very Teryaki" marinade.  I also hit the steaks with the Jackart knife meat tenderizer a few times before cubing and marinading.  I spun them about 25 minutes in the reveo until they soaked up almost all the marinade.

Made the kabobs with onion, cherry tomatoes, pineapple and peppers... looked good.  However, when I cooked them, the meat turned to goo... absolutely awful - like I had left it in meat tenderizer for a week. 

Since this is my first time to Reveo with vacuum, I'm not sure what went wrong.  The marinade did not list a meat tenderizer as an ingredient.  I know pineapple can break down meat and I reveo'd the meat and pineapple together.  Maybe I should not have used the Jackart knife.

The meat was flavored great from the soak - just not edible from the consistency.  I need meat to be tender (since I have a lap-band), but the consistency of mushy baby food was not good :P

Any veterans have insights on this issue?   Great forum - I am learning a lot!

Greg

Arcs_n_Sparks

gscheig,

Not sure about the meat tenderizer part, but 25 minutes sounds like a long time, especially for meat pieces the size for kabobs.

With my first Reveo experience, I went too long and soaked up all the marinade. That was a mistake. I now start approaching it from the short side and work up my time line.

Mr Walleye

Hi Greg

I have a Jaccard as well. I have not tried it in combination with the Reveo. I know the first time I used the Jaccard I got a little carried away with it and had similar results. Based on your results I would think that may have been your problem.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

3rensho

The bromelain in fresh pineapple (that's the proteolytic enzyme) can turn meat into mush.  I almost liquefied some chicken once that I had cubed for kebabs.  I have never used a Reveo but would bet that it enhanced the tenderizing action of the pineapple.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

iceman

Quote from: 3rensho on March 23, 2008, 11:28:00 PM
The bromelain in fresh pineapple (that's the proteolytic enzyme) can turn meat into mush.  I almost liquefied some chicken once that I had cubed for kebabs.  I have never used a Reveo but would bet that it enhanced the tenderizing action of the pineapple.

Tom

I think you just answered his question Tom. Pineapple plus to much tumble time and you get mush. Arcs has the right idea with leaning the opposite direction on trial times. I do 1" rib eyes for only 15 minutes and that starts to mess with the texture of the steak.

gscheig

Sounds like I had the "perfect storm" of factors in my reveo.  I'm looking forward to my next try, however...

Thanks to all for the tips

Smokin Soon

I was taught by my Hispanic employees to ve very careful of pineaple juice giving a slime to a meat if over done. I have done this myself
with a carne asada marinade that was supposed to be three hours and i did six. Total slime bad meat. I am not sure what the Revo can do.