Smoke Gen Cleaning

Started by Gizmo, June 01, 2008, 06:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Been needing to clean the smoke gen for some time.  Finally made it a priority today.
Here is a couple of before pictures.  Yes I am ashamed.  :(

Here is the back side of the puck advanced.  The edges where the slider moves is mostly clear but not so every where else.

All cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Smoking Duck

I really need to do mine as well but have put it off for fear of breaking it.  Guess I'll have to b ite the bullet and hope that my two left thumbs don't break something.

Nice work, Giz!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

How often should this be done ?

After each box of 120 Bisquettes ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

car54

Smoking Duck,  I have done it several times and all you have do is unscrew it. You may find a build up of gummy smoke residue which should be removed with some type of degreaser. It is not hard to do and it is a good thing to do.

Brad

La Quinta

Looks good Giz!!! :) Cleaned up nice!!

Gizmo

Mine was 2 years new.  I had blown out the inside with air from time to time and occassionally dumped out any loose wood puck particles when changing from hot to cold smoking.  The slide was sticking recently on a few smokes and I knew it was way past due.  There seems to be some cycle issues from time to time (skips and advance or pushing the wood advance button beeps but doesn't advance the wood).  Will have to keep an eye out on it to see when or how the failures occurs.

For the digital, there are a few wires that run between the two case pieces so it is a matter of a disconnecting that ribbon cable shown in the picture, one of the white plastic connectors, and I pulled a blue wire push connector off of two connectors mounted to the case.  It was easier to take the two off than to disconnect the one connection that is shown inside the clear plastic tube.  All very simple to do and no mistakes can be made putting them back together again.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Uh...sure Giz...I got all of that!!! :) :) Ah...yeah...do it all the time...yeah that's right...:)

HCT

I usually blow it out with my compressor, guess I should go inside though.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

Bout time some of us cleaned our act up!!! :D ;D ;)
Good post Giz. Thanks for the reminder.
GUILTY MYSELF!!!  :o ::) ;D

West Coast Kansan

Giz, looks pretty authentic to me... ;D (not that i have seen any like that  :D)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

philmiller

I just cleaned out mine for the first time after a bisquette feed failure.

I found some carbonized wood particles on the ramp just prior to the heater area.  I think this may have caused the problem.  I just scrapped these deposits off with a putty knife.

I opened up the unit and did find quite a lot of "sawdust" from the bisquettes but do not think this had any effect on the operation.  I blew this area out with an air hose.

I did notice that the slide or pusher was not operating smoothly.  It seemed to be slightly sticking as it cycled.  I lubed this area using high temperature dry silicone spray.  It now operates smoothly.

Anybody have any further suggestions?

Regards,

Phil