Auber plug & play temp control

Started by bushman, June 01, 2008, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I just received my Auber plug and play temp controller and have tried it out this weekend by smoking a salmon. This devise seems to be the same as the PID`s that everyone has been building. It also is a PID as it says what PID # to set at for Bradley smoker.
I put my Maverick Thermometre beside the Auder sensor. It seems that the maverick and Auder displayed approx. 3 dergrees difference .
I used a receipe that I start off with a low temp. and graduate up. The swing at it lowest temp was approx. 13 degrees. But as I increased temp. the swing tightened up to approx. 3 degrees.
The highest temp. I used was 170 and would figure that at the regular temp. of 200 or 210 degrees ,it will be great.
It was great to just set and go. The temp or time setup was easy . So far it looks great and recommend it if you don`t want to make one yourself.

Xtrema312

I ordered one the end of last week so it should be here by mid week in time to try it out this weekend.  I just got my new Bradley yesterday and bubba pucks and wood are on the way also so I hope to get my first smoke in the new unit with all the extra goodies in the mix.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum guys!

Yep I for one could not live without my pid, now that I've used it for the past three smokes, truly is set it and forget it!  Your gonna love it!  Oh yeah, I'm supposed to say use mesquite!  ;D  Enjoy and keep a smokin!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

CT Smoker

Where are you guys buying the Auber plug-n-play? I went to their web site and it says they're on vacation and won't be shipping until June 16th.
Is there another source for them that can get them out sooner?

Thanks,

Brian
There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory

bushman

They are on holidays as of last friday, unfortunately your going to have to wait until they get back

Xtrema312

I got mine direct, but I think I got in before they went on vacation.

deb415611

First I want to say this is an awesome forum.  I have been lurking for about six weeks and the amount that I have learned is incredible.  I have owned my Bradley for about 5 weeks but have not been able to use it as much as I would like.   :(

I ordered the Auber PID from the ebay link that was on another thread  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7188.0.  It came a few days before memorial day weekend.  Saturday of memorial day weekend I went through the directions & hooked it up.  Turned it on,  the lights on the controller lit up, set the temp to 200degrees and nothing .   The  controller had power but was not turning on the OBS.  Reread the directions to make sure I had it right (I did), unplugged everything, replugged -- same thing.   Left it on for a couple hours & still nothing.  Sent an email to Auber and had an email response within 45 minutes!  He asked me to send him my phone number so he could call & talk with me.  I sent an email that got stuck in my outbox (grrrr) and I didn't notice it til late Sat. night.  Received a call on Sunday morning - we went over basics real quick but no luck .   He said he would send out a new controller that day - could I return the dead one when I had a chance.  Received the new one mid-week,  set it up and let it run for a couple hours and it appeared to be working fine but didn't have time to really test it out.    Tonights the big test - doing a Boston Butt --  It's been running for a couple hours now and seems to running well - it's been consistently 3 or 4 degrees different than the maverick.

So, in short, got a bad pid but customer service was excellent & was problem was remedied quickly.  I was very impressed to get an email & phone call during Memorial Day weekend. 

Deb

iceman

Sounds like they rate right up there with Bradley customer service deb.
It makes things a lot nicer when customer service is top notch.
Thanks for the info.

Mr Walleye

Yup... When I built my PID I got a bad SSR. I sent Auber an email and they phoned me back in minutes and shipped another SSR out to me. Ya can't beat that!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bushman

I used the auber plug & play this weekend to smoke a brisket. At the higher temps. it kept it within 1 degree.

yul

:) Auber after sales service is first class. After I built my PID, a friend asked me to build him one also. I ordered what I thought were the same items but I made a mistake and unknowingly ordered the wrong SSR. I did all the ordering online from where I work. Twenty minutes later I got a phone call from my wife saying that someone from Auber had called at home to point out that maybe I had ordered the wrong SSR. They asked if the components were for a Bradley smoker and when "she who must be obeyed"  ;)  answered that they were, they corrected my order and told her that it was being shipped that evening.
Now that's what I call service. ;D  ;D
Brian. Montreal.

Gizmo

I'd say so.  Your wife has my vote as well.  To think, she didn't cancel the order and helped in getting the right parts.  Excellence Award for sure.  Watch out or LQ will break out her carrot talk to the Mrs.  That may cost you more the the SSR did. :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Xtrema312

Well I got my auber after the vacation delay, but had no time to try it that week and couldn't get a butt in time for last weekend so now I have one along with Ice's sauce.  So I am ready with butt to go in at about 6 tonight.  I am just getting organized to set all up and make sure all is go and figured out my cabinet will not plug into the auber with the current cabinet plug.  I think the pic in the Bradley set-u shows the generator plugs into the cabinet and cabinet in the wall.  Maybe I am not correct as I can't find that paper right now. My cabinet plugs into the generator and the goofy plug will not plug into the auber or the wall.  Now I guess i have to run around and find a cord someplace.  Looks like a computer power cord or something so I guess I am off to radio shack.  Is everyone having to get these cords?

Gizmo

There have been a few posts here that a computer style cord is required for some of the setups.  Bradley has changed the recepticles on the Smoker over the years due to saftey issues with exposed live prongs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Quote from: Xtrema312 on June 27, 2008, 11:43:43 AM
Well I got my auber after the vacation delay, but had no time to try it that week and couldn't get a butt in time for last weekend so now I have one along with Ice's sauce.  So I am ready with butt to go in at about 6 tonight.  I am just getting organized to set all up and make sure all is go and figured out my cabinet will not plug into the auber with the current cabinet plug.  I think the pic in the Bradley set-u shows the generator plugs into the cabinet and cabinet in the wall.  Maybe I am not correct as I can't find that paper right now. My cabinet plugs into the generator and the goofy plug will not plug into the auber or the wall.  Now I guess i have to run around and find a cord someplace.  Looks like a computer power cord or something so I guess I am off to radio shack.  Is everyone having to get these cords?

I have an OBS & I did not have to buy any cords - maybe you have a digital & it is different?.  Mine came with two cords - one was a little shorter than the other.  I think the shorter one was stamped with a code that contained 16 -- that goes from the auber box to the electrical outlet (I use an surge strip).  There was a longer one also (I think this was stamped with a code containing 18 & I think exactly the same as the one that came with the Bradley).  The directions had two ways that everything could be setup using one electrical outlet or two --- the way I have been doing it is the longer one from the auber box to the cabinet.  Then I use the cord that came with the Bradley and plug the smoke generator into the surge strip.  (I'm not using the cord (from Bradley) that did go between the cabinet & smoke generator)  (I think I have this right, going from memory & have only used it a few times)