Auber plug & play temp control

Started by bushman, June 01, 2008, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Wow... Habs & Deb have been busy! I was away for a day and will be gone most of today as well.

Thanks Habs, I got those files in the email you sent me.

I think what I'm going to do is get hold of Suyi from Auber and see if will create a download area on his site for these files. After all, it would be in his best interest. It is handy to have access to them every once in a while.

If I don't get anywhere with Auber I will upload the files Habs converted to PhotoBucket and post them here.

Thanks again guys & gals!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

When you contact Auber, ask them why they are treating that file as if it should be classified. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Well Iceman built a PID controller for me. At 160F its temp swing is 161F then to 160F then after awhile it will go back to 161F etc..

Now Iceman tested it for 4 four and after looking over the directions for the settings I wonder if those here who have stated bigger swings at the lower in of the temp if it is not a setting in the PID.

I don't know if where they are manufactured has anything to do with the swings, but price sure does. An American PID controller I priced was many times that of those made in China.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mr Walleye

Habs

I sent an email this morning to Auber and when I got home tonight I had a response from them. Ya gotta like good customer service!  ;)

They felt it was an excellent idea and would try to get it done. I asked him to shoot me an email when he does. He indicated he might need a little time but they would work on it.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

That is what I also call as good customer service.

He probably need most of the time to try and figure out how to decrypt his own file. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rcger

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 03, 2008, 09:15:31 PM
Habs

I sent an email this morning to Auber and when I got home tonight I had a response from them. Ya gotta like good customer service!  ;)

They felt it was an excellent idea and would try to get it done. I asked him to shoot me an email when he does. He indicated he might need a little time but they would work on it.

Mike

Suyi is the one who sent me the document in the first place.  I think it was helpful.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Xtrema312

After many e-mails and tests I finally sent my Auber back to get checked.  Suyi e-mailed me a couple days ago that he found a bad connection in it, which was causing loss of sensor readings and shifts in readout and heating.  No he says it is working fine.  Hope to have it back this week to try a smoke with it.  Now I know part of my problems was the Auber.  However, this weekend on a smoke I still had temp control issues and I think part of my problems is my Bradley.  I think both the Auber and Bradley started acting up about the same time giving me all kinds of problems.  I did salmon yesterday without the Auber and had a heck of a time getting temp up for the 175 deg. part of the Kummok salmon.  Over 80 deg. out, no wind and had to run full slide, vent closed all the way, and smoke generator on just to hold 175 deg.

FLBentRider

Somethings not right there. My OBS will do 170 with just the smoker generator on in hot weather.

You probably already checked this, but make sure the cords are plugged in securely.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Xtreme

These are just some random thoughts I have...  ::)

When using the OBS with the PID the Power is running through the slider control. There is no purpose for this because the PID is controlling the heat. I don't have an OBS but if I did I would rewire it so that the heater was directly connected to the PID. The DBS is built this way because the controls are in the smoke generator so when hooking up a PID to it, it is (PID) connected directly to the heater. I don't know if your problem is associated to the temp slider or it's circuit board but I don't see any reason why not to eliminate it as it serves no purpose with the PID. It's not difficult to remove the back off the cabinet. I don't think it would be very difficult to rewire it.... Just some thoughts....

Mike

Xtrema312

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 18, 2008, 07:15:54 AM
Somethings not right there. My OBS will do 170 with just the smoker generator on in hot weather.

You probably already checked this, but make sure the cords are plugged in securely.

That is a good idea and at one point I thought that maybe that could be a problem.  I don't like the fit of the jumper cord in the generator.  I had some problems with it when tied into the Auber so I use a computer cord to run the cabinet separate.  I was running it still and changed out to the jumper just in case it was a problem, but I had been running that cord in the past without issue.  The change had no effect.  It is a good idea to check as a week cord or bad connection could cause a problem with getting full power.

Xtrema312

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 18, 2008, 07:32:16 AM
Xtreme

These are just some random thoughts I have...  ::)

When using the OBS with the PID the Power is running through the slider control. There is no purpose for this because the PID is controlling the heat. I don't have an OBS but if I did I would rewire it so that the heater was directly connected to the PID. The DBS is built this way because the controls are in the smoke generator so when hooking up a PID to it, it is (PID) connected directly to the heater. I don't know if your problem is associated to the temp slider or it's circuit board but I don't see any reason why not to eliminate it as it serves no purpose with the PID. It's not difficult to remove the back off the cabinet. I don't think it would be very difficult to rewire it.... Just some thoughts....

Mike

I was thinking the same thing.  No need for it as long as the PID is working.  I just may do it, to try it out and see if that makes it work.  It is still under warrantee so I plan to replace it if it is bad just so I have one on hand for emergency smoking if the PID goes bad. 

West Coast Kansan

I think the issue is related to the vent being full closed.  The proverbial moisture trap / condensation type issue.  :-\

Try the heat now with the vent open about a half and see what temp you get to... no need for food just to play with it and check that it is working.  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Xtrema312

I will give it a try empty soon to see what I can do with it, but it ran for a long time with half vent and no generator and only went from about 145 to about 152.  After I turned on the generator it got up to 160 something.  Only after I closed the vent was I able to get to 175.  After I did I went to half vent and was right back down to low 160's.  I let it run a half hour to see if it would come up and it didn't budge.  This was about 4-hours into the smoke when I started trying to go to 175 so not all that much moisture left in the cabinet and I was not running water as I toss it out when the smoking is done and I rotate racks.  With skin on salmon the way we like it I don't need the extra moisture and usually run vent all the time.  My salmon smoke before this one when I thought the Auber was acting up it ran 2 hours and never came up to 175.  After an hour and a half I turned on the generator to bost it and a half hour later I had to close the vent to get it up to temp.  That time I was able to open the vent some and hold 175 to finsh.

Xtrema312

This post was really more about my Auber so I started a post about the heat issue over in the original Bradley area so I will continue there.  Thanks for your input and please add any more comments about the heat issue there.  I don't want to get too much non Auber stuff in this post.  I did an empty test so have more info to add.