Slim Jim ( pepperettes ) help

Started by Kirri, June 02, 2008, 04:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirri

Hey guys, some help needed here...

First attempt at making slim jims.  I am making 10 lbs of it, mixed all ingredients and added 2tbs of nitrite.  Mixed the nitrite with water until diluted, is that how to do it or should it be measured carefully. 

Second question.  How long do you leave the pepperettes in.  They have been in the smoker for 24 hrs now at a temperature of 85-110F.  I smoked them, using hickory for about 2 hrs.  I have obtained an internal temperature of 145F so what to do now.  Did I leave them in too long and/or should I have raised the temperature higher after 12 hrs?  They look good but....

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

acords

you should use 1 tsp of curing salt per 5 pounds of meat . If you used 2 tablespoons, you added to much.  I have never dissolved curing salt in water, but I don't really see a problem with it.  I usually add the curing salt and then add water and mix it in that way.  Most recipes call for an IT of 152.  Hope this helps
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Kirri

Thanks Acords,

yep his helps.  So next time I won't put as much cure.  So how long do you usually keep the pepperettes at 95-110F, about 8-12 hrs and then bring the temp up to reach 152F.  They have been at 110F now for over 24 hrs, so when I get home will bring the internal temp to 152F.  Thanks again.

acords

QuoteSo how long do you usually keep the pepperettes at 95-110F

I usually start them at 120 for 2 hours no smoke.  Then raise the cabinet temp to 140 and apply 2 hours smoke.  When internal temperature is within 10 degrees of cabinet temp, I raise cabinet temp 10 degrees.......until internal temp is 152.  Shower in cold water and let cool.

Please post your results (pictures if you have any).  I'm sure nobody would mind if you shared your recipe ;)
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Kirri

Thanks again Acord,

hopefully mine won't be too hard for being in so long.  I will take pictures tonight and try my luck at posting them.  Kirri

Mr Walleye

Hi Kirri and welcome top the forum.

Here is a link to some snack sticks I did. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6866.0

I agree with Acords, I think you used too much cure. The only thing you didn't mention was what type og cure it was. For an example if it was Morton TQ 2 Tbs would be the correct amount (sorry this is incorrect, I believe Morton TC is 1 Tbs per pound). But if it was any type of Cure #1 it would be a fair amount too much. There are a number of recipes for snack sticks. Some use the method Acords refered to and others like the link I posted have Fermento used in them to develope that "tang" flavor (this is the reason for the extended time at 98 - 110 degrees). Anyway, if you don't already have it, I would recommend buying the book called "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas". It is considered the "Bible" of sausage making and has a lot of great recipes in it. I know it's helped me to understand things a lot better.

Mike

Edit: To correct the Morton TC amount.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

QuoteThey have been in the smoker for 24 hrs now at a temperature of 85-110F.  I smoked them, using hickory for about 2 hrs.  I have obtained an internal temperature of 145F so what to do now.

I do not quite understand this. You have the snack sticks in the smoker and it is set to operate between 85 an 110 degrees. I do not see how you are getting an IT of 145 degrees? I know they have been in there for 24 hours but how can the IT be that much higher than the actual temp of the smoker?  ??? I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but am I missing something?

Mike and Accords gave you good advice on this, it should be very helpful.
Good luck,
pensrock

iceman

Quote from: pensrock on June 02, 2008, 01:21:03 PM
QuoteThey have been in the smoker for 24 hrs now at a temperature of 85-110F.  I smoked them, using hickory for about 2 hrs.  I have obtained an internal temperature of 145F so what to do now.

I do not quite understand this. You have the snack sticks in the smoker and it is set to operate between 85 an 110 degrees. I do not see how you are getting an IT of 145 degrees? I know they have been in there for 24 hours but how can the IT be that much higher than the actual temp of the smoker?  ??? I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but am I missing something?

Mike and Accords gave you good advice on this, it should be very helpful.
Good luck,
pensrock

In the second post by Kirri I think it said the temp was turned up to get the sticks to 152.

Kirri

Hey guys,

thanks for your help.  Looking at my notes last night, I only put 1tbs of cure.  Not sure what kind it is, I buy it at a supply place and on the label it says nitrite, salt, bicarbonate and it is white in color.

Mr Walleye, thanks for the info.  I did buy the book by Rytek Kutas but wanted to ask a few questions just to make sure.

Raise the temperature until the IT was up to 153-154.  They have a nice color but the inside dryness is not what I want.  They are more like a pepperoni. 

I would like them to by dryer, so how do I do that.  Keep them longer in the smoker at 95-110F or should I raise the temperature higher.  Or when done smoking, would you hang them to dry for a while.  I know pretty stupid questions but would like to tweak or refine them a bit more. 

Mr Walleye

Kirri

I tend to follow recipes that I trust to make sure you don't make someone sick such as the ones in the book by Rytek Kutas. The link to the recipe I used is from the book is on page 361 I think. It is a dried snack stick that you continue to dry after you have removed it from the smoker. You can eat them right away if you want, hard not to, but you can continue to dry them for the texture you are looking for in the correct enviroment.

It sounds like you have some form of cure #1 all right. Although the correct amount would be 2 tsp per 10lbs. Does the packaging indicate the percentage of Nitrite? Normally, most cure #1 has 6.25% Nitrite in it. Locally, here in Saskatchewan, I buy a product called Super Cure which is just one of many names for cure #1.

Mike

Kirri

Hey Mike,

I will take another look at the book.  I might put them in a dehydrator for a bit and see what happens.  More than likely though I will eat them all.

No it does not give any percentage on the bag.  I might just give them a call to find out.

I am in Peterborough, Ont and seem to have a hard time to find the cure.  Probably not looking at the right place.

Thanks again.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kirri;

What type of supply house? Are the ingredients listed in the order your listed? The reason I ask is that ingredients are listed in order of the largest amount, to the least. If nitrite is listed first, then that means it is the main ingredient; not salt as it would be in Cure #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kirri

Habanero smoker,

on the package, it is listed starting with nitrite, salt and then bicarbonate.

I was told of this place by a butcher.  And they are supplying butcher shop, etc.

So should I be looking for the actual Cure# 1 which contains more salt?

iceman

Quote from: Kirri on June 04, 2008, 04:46:00 AM
Habanero smoker,

on the package, it is listed starting with nitrite, salt and then bicarbonate.

I was told of this place by a butcher.  And they are supplying butcher shop, etc.

So should I be looking for the actual Cure# 1 which contains more salt?

If your not sure what to do with the cure you have I'd stick with cure #1 or insta cure or whatever they call it in your area. Most of the sausage books use the cure#1 and #2. Just my 2 cents to avoid confusion.

Mr Walleye

Kirri

I would just give the supply house a phone call and ask them. Any product they sell they should know the makeup of it. I've found most of the businesses I deal with more than happy to discuss the various products and their uses. If the mix of the cure is any different than the standard for cure #1 I would also ask them for the recommended amounts for use as well.

Mike