First Time Pulled Pork Help

Started by WannaB Smoker, August 03, 2008, 10:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Welcome Studvike84.  Start a few hours earlier than you think you will need and use the FTC (Foil Towel Cooler) holding method to give you several potential hours of breathing room.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

SmokeySmell

Quote from: studvike84 on August 12, 2008, 08:03:29 AM
Thanks for all of the information.  Can anybody give me an estimate of what it will take to do a 6.2 lb. boneless pork shoulder.  I know that I have to wait until IT hits about 190, but am not sure on hours/lb.  I'm trying to figure when she needs to go in and then I can figure out when I want it done the next day - and I'll get it done about 2-3 hours so I can FTC it for a while.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Studvike84

I would roughly figure on 2 hours per pound and possibly as much as 3-4 hours a pound.

I did a boneless pork-butt on the 4th of July, it was a 3 pounder so being smart I figured it would take only 6 hours 9 hours tops, both easy times to achieve in a single day so I didn't put it on the night before, big mistake.

That little 3lb pork-butt took 12 hours total, I took it off after 9 hours and could tell only parts where done, so I pulled enough for dinner then finished cooking the butt the next day.

I should have cooked it all night like I normally do, I could have FTC'd it all day without worry. Now I FTC by wrapping in foil only and putting it back in the smoker with the temp lowered to 150 deg, cause Im lazy like that.

studvike84

Thanks again - I appreciate the help.....