More pulled pork ????

Started by Xtrema312, June 04, 2008, 10:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofite

Here is a site with info about buying, trimming, preparing, smoking, etc, pork butts. I just found it this morning and have learned a lot of stuff I did not know so my next pulled pork butt will be even better than the last one I made.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

Xtrema312

Thanks!  That was a big help.

Smoking Duck

Well, we're practically neighbors.  I live in Elkhart, IN but used to live in Portage, MI.  I buy all my pork butts at Sam's Club which come 2 in a cryovac package.  There is a butcher there in Kalamazoo that I've used before who is pretty good.  Can't remember the name of the road but it's the one where Sweetwater Donuts is located and the butcher is located right by the old Gordon Food Service.  It's right off of I-94.  They're pretty nice folks....last time I was up there, I told him what I wanted and he cut it off right there for me on the spot.  Now that I think of it, I believe the road is Sprinkle.  Hope it helps and welcome aboard, neighbor!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Xtrema312

Thanks for the info.  That is exactly what I wanted to know.  That is the butcher shop I was thinking about off Sprinkle and a second recommendation is a help.  I was thinking about going there some time.  I live out on M-43 about the Van Buren Co. line so those places are a ways away, but I work downtown so it is not too far to go to Sprinkle if I go after work.  That or pack ice and go at lunch.  I will have to go there this next week at lunch to look around and ask about some stuff.

I will have to see about Sam's.  I don't have a membership so I will have to track someone down with one or eat a lot of butt's to pay for it.   ;D

I checked Wal-mart again and they have nice looking ones, but they say "up to 8% solution"  so I am thinking they are salt water injected and I need to keep looking, but I am not sue on the solution if that is too much or not.  They were trimmed nice with a nice fat cap ready to go.  They had real nice looking full briskets, but I couldn't tell what grade they were anywhere on the package.  I found nice looking choice brisket flats at Meijers right down the road so if I just want to grab a fast one I think those will work, but I will have to check the prices and quality at the Sprinkle road butcher shop.

Smoking Duck

My sister-in-law (say, you ain't single, are ya?  ;D) lives in Kalamazoo.  I have a membership to Sams.  Maybe the next time we go to visit her, I can give you a jingle and meet ya there and you can get all the bulk meat your heart desires.  Where do you work at up there?

SD

Xtrema312

To bad for your sister in-law because I am very happily married and quite the catch. ;D  We spend time apart with friends and they talk about their spouse all the time.  We tray to be encouraging and then come home to thank each other for being so great and usually talk about all the bullet we ducked while finding each other.  We don't spread it around though because we don't want to rub it in.   :D Only been 7-years so far, but never had a fight yet.  No need for one.

That is a very kind offer thanks!  I would like to make a trip some time if it works out.  I may have a sister in-law with a membership, but can't recall if they let it go or not.   

I work at Kingscott.  It is an A&E firm down town by the arcadia creak festival site.  My window lets me watch the ducks land in the creak and I day dream of how to get my hands on them and get them in my smoker.  I love duck and goose jerky better than any other kind.  Mesquite smoke just does something magic to them.

Smoking Duck

Dear God.......not yet another mesquite lover  :'( :o ;D

I love duck and goose hunting....got a great lab who's AKC and UKC titled.....goes by the name of Steeler

westexasmoker

See its not just me....Mesquite smoke just does something magic to them.
!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

First smoke I feel like an expectant daddy! I dont really understand the oven timer, it does not go over 9 hrs something.
How do I just let it rip?

Smoking Duck

Smoking Soon,
On the Digital Bradley Smoker, it will not program for any longer than 9 hours and 40 minutes.  You'll need to reset the timer before you go to bed.  I always try to time my smokes so that it was time to change the water about the time I expected to go to bed.  This way, I would change the water and be cool with that and then reset the timer as I knew I'd never get 9:40 of sleep.  Just remember to reset the timer when you get up again.

One way to forget about the timer is to get a PID and that will override the timer on the DBS.

Hope that helps and enjoy the smoke.

SD

Smokin Soon

Thanks Duck for the quick reply, Now I can relax with a brew, smell the smoke and pull some pork in the morning! I will post results good or bad!

Xtrema312

Quote from: Smoking Duck on June 07, 2008, 04:37:07 PM
Dear God.......not yet another mesquite lover  :'( :o ;D

I love duck and goose hunting....got a great lab who's AKC and UKC titled.....goes by the name of Steeler

Yep, I have been a die yard hickory smoke fan for years on my jerky, summer sausage and salmon.  I have played with other stuff on the sausage and salmon, but I always come back to hickory.  With my old smoker I used little chief chips.   One day I was getting ready to smoke a batch of goose and I found out I was out of chips so I ran out to the store where I got them all the time and they stopped selling them.   All they had were those puck things and big wood chunks.  I needed smaller stuff for my electric smoker so I looked all over and I found one bag of medium chips in mesquite and figure that was what I was going to use to get through the smoke.   Best batch of jerky I had ever made.  From then on I used the mesquite on the ducks and geese.  I have not tried it on any other meat, but I think my next batch of venison jerky will be mesquite.   

Had to put down my yellow this March @ just a month short of 13 yr.  Swallowed one to many socks and this one didn't come back up like the first 200. :o  That and the kidney failure was getting close so it was time.

Smoking Duck

Sorry to here that Xtrema.  At least you have your memories........

By the way, my weapon of choice is the Xtrema 2........probably one of the best duck and goose guns I've owned

tturaider

Quote from: Xtrema312 on June 07, 2008, 04:14:55 PM
Mesquite smoke just does something magic to them.

Thats what I like to hear!!!
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Smokin Soon

Don't really know how but I dun good! Ribs for breakfast, Pulled Pork for dinner!