More pulled pork ????

Started by Xtrema312, June 04, 2008, 10:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtrema312

Quote from: Smoking Duck on June 08, 2008, 04:22:47 AM
Sorry to here that Xtrema.  At least you have your memories........

By the way, my weapon of choice is the Xtrema 2........probably one of the best duck and goose guns I've owned

Had the X1 then the benelli now back to the good old 870 sps, wingmaster, and A5 mag.  The Beretta's are my favorite auto next to the A5, but the X1 never fit right.  Maybe a X2 some day down the line.  The Benellis don't pattern that great and my others do so back to basics.  I shoot them better anyway. 

Xtrema312

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 08, 2008, 02:24:15 PM
Don't really know how but I dun good! Ribs for breakfast, Pulled Pork for dinner!

Looks good to me.  I wish I could have done it this weekend, but the PID never made it so I waited.  About the time I got the smoke going on my first OBS smoke doing the fall back jerky the storm came through and took out the power.  I managed to complete the jerky on the generator, but I am glad I didn't need to run it 20 hours on a low and slow box full of pork.

Jerky turned out great.  Did 1:20 misquote.  I have read not to use water in the bowl, but when I saw the first pucks were burning down when I rotated racks I did.  Rescued the low rack back strips in the nick of time at one point then the rest turned out quite uniform.  Seamed like the door temp was 15-30 deg. off of the maverick dependent on the temp.  The higher the temp the closer it was, or maybe it just settled out when the cabinet stabilized, but was still to far off to trust IMO.  I may just do a brisket flat next weekend if the PID is not here so I can do something I can finish in a day.

Smokin Soon

Quote from: Xtrema312 on June 09, 2008, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 08, 2008, 02:24:15 PM
Don't really know how but I dun good! Ribs for breakfast, Pulled Pork for dinner!

Looks good to me.  I wish I could have done it this weekend, but the PID never made it so I waited.  About the time I got the smoke going on my first OBS smoke doing the fall back jerky the storm came through and took out the power.  I managed to complete the jerky on the generator, but I am glad I didn't need to run it 20 hours on a low and slow box full of pork.

Jerky turned out great.  Did 1:20 misquote.  I have read not to use water in the bowl, but when I saw the first pucks were burning down when I rotated racks I did.  Rescued the low rack back strips in the nick of time at one point then the rest turned out quite uniform.  Seamed like the door temp was 15-30 deg. off of the maverick dependent on the temp.  The higher the temp the closer it was, or maybe it just settled out when the cabinet stabilized, but was still to far off to trust IMO.  I may just do a brisket flat next weekend if the PID is not here so I can do something I can finish in a day.

Hey, Let me know how the pid thing works, and how the install goes. I'm only looking into this cause I hate the dbs only having a 9:40 cook time. Also which one did you order?

westexasmoker

I'm thinking I've got someone else converted....come to the dark side!!  ;D

'Jerky turned out great.  Did 1:20 misquote.'  Mesquite will make you miss spell everytime!  Congrats!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

I think that was what we term a Freudian slip, WTS.  He meant mesquite but put misquote.  Hmmmmmmm, what's next, mosquitos?

:o :D ;D ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Xtrema312

Darn that auto spell correct on my note pad I use so the text is nice and big when I leave my glasses at work.  That happens every once in a while.  I did smoke some mosquitoes though being up next to the woods with all the hot humid air this weekend. :)

iceman

Great job Smokin Soon. There I go slobbering on the keyboard again!  :D ;D

Consiglieri

That food looks great, Smokin Soon.  Wish I saw some of that food in my immediate future!
Consiglieri

Xtrema312

Well I finally got it done this weekend!  Got Ice's sauce and my Auber programmable control.  Did about an 8 lb butt with CYM and Mr. Brown 4-hours hickory.

Got meat at a butcher shop.  Nice and fresh, but they didn't follow my instructions and trimmed it all up.  It was the end of the day so they had cleaned up and I couldn't get some fat so they had thick cut bacon and I got enough to cover it and the fattiest pieces I could get.  The nice thing is I got my rub under the fat so I kept my bark on without the fat taking it off when I pulled it. 

My Auber ran about 3 deq less than the Maverick in the cabinet.  The Auber was actually right on with the door thermometer.  I checked the Maverick in boiling water and it was about 5 deg. low when tested, but was about on with the thermometer in the house for room temp.  I adjusted temp target and Auber settings accordingly.  Set Auber at 200 figuring it was close to 208-210.  Started at 6 pm in pre-heated smoker with meat out on counter to warm for about 1.5 hr.  Cabinet temp came up without much wait.  Auber did great with 1 deg. temp swing from target all along. 

Changed water after smoke and did apple juice.  At 6 am the butt was about 160 so I added water and apple juice.  I bumped the Auber to 205 with apple juice at bowel change. 

My Maverick meat temp probe tested low in boiling water also so I pulled it out when the temp at the lowest temp part of the meat was at 185 deg. with most parts at 190 or a little more.  Pulled it out at 4pm, 22 hr.  FTC and apple juice.  Set in FTC for about 1.5 hours. 

It was great.  Maybe could have been a little more moist, but it was so good it is hard to say for sure, and really if they all turned out this way it would be fine with me and everyone that has tried it so far.  Not sure how the fat, meat, and longer than expected cook time all played out. 

Loved Ice's sauce.  Tried the mild and regular and liked both.  With the Mr. Brown rub the mild is a nice comb.  I will probably be getting more of each. 

I need to temp check the Auber and my Maverick some more to see what is up.  I think the Auber was closer maybe than the Maverick.  It seemed like the Time was too long, but I also have to check all the temp recommendations as I could have been under set 10 deg. cook temp.  Not sure.  Next time I am for sure going to run the Auber at 205 from the start and bump to 210 maybe at 12 hours.

Xtrema312

;D oh and thanks for all the help!

Xtrema312

I did my second butt last night and had problems with the Auber.  I posted more about the details of the problems in the accessories section of the site.  I started at 4pm with a target of around noon today.  My first one had taken about 21 hours if I recall correctly, but I was running about 200 deg. and took the meat to 190.   This time I was trying to run close to 205-208.  I finally got it set up so I thought it was running right at about 10 pm.  I had some too high cabinet temps, but had been catching it and venting the heat so I thought I had done no harm in the early process although my meat temp was probably on the rise a little too fast with some of the 220 high end cabinet temps I was getting off and on. 

The last check was at midnight.   The cabinet was up to temp, the Maverick was about where it should be with the error it has, and the Auber was working fine again holding temps at 205-207.  Went to bed and got up at 6 to check it.  The Auber was running 205 deg. and holding with pulses of power.  I thought great!  Then I checked the cabinet temp on the door and the Maverick and it was 235 and 238 so over 240 actual.  :(  The meat was 195 so I pulled it and FTC for 3 hr.  I just pulled it and it pulled okay, but it is very very greasy.  Still has a lot of fat in the meat and it is nothing like the last one I did.  The first one had the fat in the sections between the meat, but not all the fat all over the place.  I lost most of the bark because it was too loaded with grease to save for my taste.  It was done 8-hours ahead of my last one. 

I know the fat in a butt and the way it cooks will vary, but I have to think the thing cooked way to fast and didn't have time to really break down the fat and drain it through and out of the meat.  Is this what you get when you go too fast and high with the temp and can I expect my next one to be better quality with less fat still in the meat if I get it slowed down and cook longer or is this more to do with the meat I got this time?

FLBentRider

It could just be the meat. Before the PID, I did my butts (usually 4, but at least 2) in my 4 rack OBS. I would keep the slider control on MAX for pretty much the entire smoke/cook, and the bx temps were usually in the 210 - 230 range. The only way I can get higher temps is run the OBS empty. I have not had a butt turn out the way you describe, but I have had them be tougher than usual even though they were cooked to the same IT.

Lets blame it on the pig. I think I have had more variance in texture and tenderness based on meat source than any other factors - box temp, ftc time, etc...

What was the total cook time ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Xtrema312

14 hours, but could have been 13 or less.  Who knows as it was 195 when I checked at 6 am.  My first one was about 21 but closer to 200 deg. box temp and I let it run the meat up to 190.   I was ball parking it at 18 hours this time with a planned 5-8 deg. higher box temp and came up way short of that.