Any good Jerky Recipes?

Started by flinthaven, June 04, 2008, 07:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flinthaven

Jerky Recipes
I just got my Bradley Digital smoker and I am planning on doing some Jerky with it.  I have in the past used a dehydrator with the fallowing ingredients.

Liquid smoke
Worcestershire sauce
Soy Sauce
Onion powder
Powdered Garlic
Pepper To taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

I figured that I don't need the liquid smoke any longer what do you suggest?  Also note that one of the people who generally eats my jerky is diabetic so I tend to avoid teriyaki and brown sugar.

Thanks
flinthaven

Gizmo

Those ingredients will work and yes, you do not need the liquid smoke with the Bradley.

You can also make a dry cure and seasoning.  I would recommend some kits but so far the ones I have used all have a sugar cure and they would not work for a diabetic. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Since you do not use high temperatures for making jerky, any artificial sweetener would work. The easiest substitute for sugar would be to use Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, because it is so readily available. They also have a brown sugar version. The brand that measures the same as sugar would be best, because makes it easy to convert it's measurement into a recipe.

More about Splenda
http://www.splenda.com/index.jhtml

Teriyaki have 15-20 calories per tablespoon, which is almost equivalent to one teaspoon of white sugar (15 calories). You could still use that and let your friends know so they could adjust their daily diet. Maybe use Soy sauce and increase the sweetness of the recipe by adding more Splenda.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

geofite

Splenda will make you sick.

The Lethal Science Of Splenda - A Poisonous Chlorocarbon

By James Bowen, M.D.

James Bowen, M.D., A physician, biochemist, and survivor of aspartame poisoning warns about yet another synthetic sweetener, Splenda.

HAWAII -- The chemical sucralose, marketed as "Splenda", has replaced aspartame as the #1 artificial sweetener in foods and beverages. Aspartame has been forced out by increasing public awareness that it is both a neurotoxin and an underlying cause of chronic illness worldwide. Dr. James Bowen, Researcher and biochemist, reports:

"Splenda/sucralose is simply chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon. Common chlorocarbons include carbon tetrachloride, trichlorethelene and methylene chloride, all deadly. Chlorine is nature's Doberman attack dog, a highly excitable, ferocious atomic element employed as a biocide in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, WWI poison gas and hydrochloric acid.

"Sucralose is a molecule of sugar chemically manipulated to surrender three hydroxyl groups (hydrogen + oxygen) and replace them with three chlorine atoms. Natural sugar is a hydrocarbon built around 12 carbon atoms. When turned into Splenda it becomes a chlorocarbon, in the family of Chlorodane, Lindane and DDT,

"It is logical to ask why table salt, which also contains chlorine, is safe while Splenda/sucralose is toxic? Because salt isn't a chlorocarbon. When molecular chemistry binds sodium to chlorine to make salt carbon isn't included. Sucralose and salt are as different as oil and water.

"Unlike sodium chloride, chlorocarbons are never nutritionally compatible with our metabolic processes and are wholly incompatible with normal human metabolic functioning. When chlorine is chemically reacted into carbon-structured organic compounds to make chlorocarbons, the carbon and chlorine atoms bind to each other by mutually sharing electrons in their outer shells. This arrangement adversely affects human metabolism because our mitochondrial and cellular enzyme systems are designed to completely utilize organic molecules containing carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and other compatible nutritional elements.

"By this process chlorocarbons such as sucralose deliver chlorine directly into our cells through normal metabolization. This makes them effective insecticides and preservatives. Preservatives must kill anything alive to prevent bacterial decomposition."

Dr. Bowen believes ingested chlorocarbon damage continues with the formation of other toxins: "Any chlorocarbons not directly excreted from the body intact can cause immense damage to the processes of human metabolism and, eventually, our internal organs. The liver is a detoxification organ which deals with ingested poisons. Chlorocarbons damage the hepatocytes, the liver's metabolic cells, and destroy them. In test animals Splenda produced swollen livers, as do all chlorocarbon poisons, and also calcified the kidneys of test animals in toxicity studies. The brain and nervous system are highly subject to metabolic toxicities and solvency damages by these chemicals. Their high solvency attacks the human nervous system and many other body systems including genetics and the immune function. Thus, chlorocarbon poisoning can cause cancer, birth defects, and immune system destruction. These are well known effects of Dioxin and PCBs which are known deadly chlorocarbons."

Dr. Bowen continues: "Just like aspartame, which achieved marketplace approval by the Food and Drug Administration when animal studies clearly demonstrated its toxicity, sucralose also failed in clinical trials with animals. Aspartame created brain tumors in rats. Sucralose has been found to shrink thymus glands (the biological seat of immunity) and produce liver inflammation in rats and mice.

"In the coming months we can expect to see a river of media hype expounding the virtues of Splenda/sucralose. We should not be fooled again into accepting the safety of a toxic chemical on the blessing of the FDA and saturation advertising. In terms of potential long-term human toxicity we should regard sucralose with its chemical cousin DDT, the insecticide now outlawed because of its horrendous long term toxicities at even minute trace levels in human, avian, and mammalian tissues.

"Synthetic chemical sweeteners are generally unsafe for human consumption. This toxin was given the chemical name "sucralose" which is a play on the technical name of natural sugar, sucrose. One is not the other. One is food, the other is toxic; don't be deceived."

Dr. Bowen also calls attention to another seldom recognized and deadly permanent effect of these chemicals: "Aspartame, sold as NutraSweet, Equal, E951, Canderel, Benevia and under other names, is a hypersensitization agent which causes Polychemical Sensitivity syndrome. Chlorocarbons strongly induce uncurable hypersensitivity diseases which are now becoming rampant." (James Bowen, M.D.)

Doctor Bowen has spent 20 years researching artificial sweeteners after his use of aspartame resulted in being diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. Dr Bowen's intention is to warn the world of the toxicity of tabletop poisons like aspartame, Splenda and Neotame.

For more information on aspartame and Splenda click on the Aspartame Information List on http://www.wnho.net. Dr. Bowen can be seen in the movie "Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World" For the movie call 1 818 349 8822 or email [email protected] See how aspartame was approved by clicking on http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/Rumsfeld2.html

Aspartame and Splenda Toxicity Centers,
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame
Aspartame and brain tumors cases for litigation contact Dr. Betty Martini at [email protected] or 770 242-2599. Currently taking states New York, New Jersey, Madison County, Illinois and Mississippi

http://www.rense.com/general65/splend.htm

iceman

Interesting reading geafite. Thanks for the post and links. Never thought about it while drinking my diet soda. Might have to change that.  ;)

pensrock

geofite,
  I dunno, I have read all these types of things on the net before as well as ones disputing them. I have been using sugar replacements for years with no problems, I'm diabetic. I've even spoken to my Dr. about these postings and was told there is nothing to them. So I guess each has to make up their own mind on what to beleive and hope they are doing the right thing for themselves.
  Me, I'll be sticking to the sugar substitutes and the occasional diet drink.
pensrock

Habanero Smoker

I've too seen similar warning, which include almost every sugar substitute on the market. As Pensrock; I too am diabetic, and been using sugar substitutes since 1999; and will continue to do so. There is more then enough other information to thoroughly dispute Dr. Bowens article.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

I found the following quote in The Douglas Report.

"If you have a sweet tooth that just won't take no for an answer, consider using a sweetener that doesn't contain aspartame, like Stevia, lo han, or xylitol.

The sweetener stevia comes from the stevia plant and is said to be 300 times sweeter than sugar. In other words it's natural, and you don't need a lot of it to sweeten up your coffee, tea, or what have you. Even though it works great as a sweetener, the FDA won't allow it to be labeled as such. Instead, they insist that it be called a "dietary supplement". I'm not going to get into the politics of it here. Suffice to say that this is the sweetest "dietary supplement" you have ever tasted, and you can find it in your local health food store. Lo han (derived from dried and fresh fruit) and xylitol (found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables) are two other alternatives to sugar. You can find both of them in your local health food store or from various online sources."

Habanero Smoker

flinthaven;

I sorted through some old recipes and found a recipe for Homemade Teriyaki Sauce.

Home Made Teriyaki Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 cup soy sauce, (Kikkoman works best, low sodium is another option)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder, or 3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
4 tsp white sugar or equivalent artificial sweetener (packed brown sugar, or artificial brown sugar sweetener works better)
1 tsp ground ginger or more if you like
1 Tbsp Toasted sesame seed oil (optional)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients well. Pour into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate and let flavors blend for at least 4 hours. Shake well before using. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.