Ok lets do a brisket

Started by westexasmoker, June 12, 2008, 08:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuffs

Ok,I'd like to do a briskit,but I have some questions....8 1/2 lbs wet aged??What is wet aged,something I have to do?? $ hrs in the smoker and off to work...I can't make it home for approx 10 hours after leaving for work.Into the oven for 14 hours at 200?...can't I do this in the Bradley and finish it there,nervouse going off to work and leaving an oven on!Not being smart,,I would like to replicate this,but have had some succeses and failures trying to use this smoker.Any explanations would be appreciated and I'll go back lurking in the forum
                                                                     thanks
                                                                       kuffs  :-\

westexasmoker

I like to wet age my brisket for about 3 weeks, which simply means leave it in the cry-o-vac for that long in the fridge, if market trimmed vac seal and then the same routine, I like to leave the fat cap on through the smoke for self basting and cut it off before going into the oven, it goes back into the smoker for another 4-6 hours..I usually will hit it with 4 hours of smoke in the BS (with mesquite) and then into a foil pan covered in foil and just a splash of liquid (whatever you throw in) and into my house oven for another 14 to 18 hours @ 220, then pull it (save your juice from your pan makes for a nice base for sauce) and FTC for another 4 to 6 hours (I've gone as long as 8 and still nice and hot) Slice and enjoy or shred and make a sandwich!
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

Oh yeah I forgot I started this thread (to much mesquite smoke to the brain)  ;D  I think the pics and what-have-you are at the first!

C

westexasmoker

Ya know I re-read (remember to much smoke to the brain, dang I thought high school was bad)  ;D  Someone else will throw there thoughts in on this, cause I know alot of folks will finish in the BS, I've done it once with great success, but I trust my indoor oven more than I do my BS on the back porch for long cook times, granted I've never had problem and don't want to, but I've seen the kitchen oven during cleaning cycle with fire inside and I don't trust that in the BS but once again I know many on this forum that cook the entire time with their BS....really I think you'll be OK either way ya go! (At this point in time I would like to place my disclaimer - I did'nt tell ya what to do!  ::)

C