Ok lets do a brisket

Started by westexasmoker, June 12, 2008, 08:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Ok let's do a brisket..One packer cut 8.5 lb wet aged 3.5 weeks.

Rubbed down both sides, left the entire fat cap on, just trimmed the sides a bit.  We'll cut the fat off after the cook for some burnt ends!

Now into its sleeping bag for a goodnights rest in fridge (this was last night)

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Buck36

What kind of wood are you going to use?   ;D

Tiny Tim

I would guess something with a lot of bite to it...like Pecan.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

westexasmoker

Pecan is for making pies!  ;D

Ok after a nights rest in fridge, time to rest for an hour on the counter while the smoker is pre-heated to 220.

Into the smoker....aw the sweet smell of 4 hours of mesquite!

Time to head off to work!  >:(

C

westexasmoker

Out of the smoker and into the oven for 14 hours @ 200

FTC for another 3 hours and now I'm thinking its lunch time!

C

Gizmo

Westex,
That is a treat of beauty.
I don't suppose your house is on the way from San Diego to Houston is it?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Wow, that looks awesome.  I think it's time to try a brisket  :)

West Coast Kansan

Very nice Westex ... and now the address was  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Very nice Westex!  What is the tracking number for the UPS delivery?  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Vaison

Man, that looks good! 

I have a question...I just bought a brisket about the same size, however, it has a pretty good layer of fat on one side.  Should i cut it down as trim as the brisket in these photos or leave all of it on?  I'd imagine that everyone has preferences, but I certainly don't want to leave too much on there before carving time.  Thanks in advance.

kiyotei

do NOT remove the fat cap before smoking.  You smoke the brisket with the fat cap on top.  This helps keep the meat moist.  The brisket actually has very little fat in the meat itself and so it can dry out quickly.  Fat gives meat flavor.  A good idea is to take a fork and stab thru the fat cap into the meat all over the top before smoking.  This helps keep the meat moist during smoking and improves flavor.  AFTER you are done cooking the brisket and ready to slice it, you will find that the fat cap slides right off.  You should remove it before slicing.  BTW, the fat cap adds a lot of weight to a brisket so if you buy a 9lb brisket, you might have up to 2lbs of fat on it, so remember that when buying them.

westexasmoker

kiyotei is dead on leave the fat cap on during the smoke for self basting, I like to remove it after the smoke and throw it back into the smoker for burnt ends and the brisket goes into the oven for the finish!

C

FLBentRider

Looks good WTS!

I think I trimmed to much of the fat from my first brisket, it was a little dry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I only smoke flats, and do mine a little differently. I generally trim down to a 1/8" to 1/4" fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I do the same as Habs, however, I may have to leave the fat cap on next time to see what it does.  I will always have a rack of bacon above mine when I trim the fat cap down.  Yours looks so good WTS that I may just have to do my next one with mesquite.  Come to think of it, I don't believe I've evr smoked anything with mesquite.  But in honor of my Tejas friends, the next brisket I do will be with mesquitos.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra