Brisket in the Smoker

Started by ahrond, June 14, 2008, 12:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahrond

I started my brisket on Thursday in John Henry's Brisket Brine, for 24 hours.  (I bought a 6.5pd flat un trimed from Costco)
http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/Description.asp?prod_id=134
Last night I took it out of the brine and used his Texas Brisket Seasoning. 
I put it in the smoker at 10pm PST last night with 4 hours of Hickory.  Woke up at 2 and changed out the water, and again at 7.  The brisket just hit 190deg and its not pulling apart with a fork.  How much longer should i keep it in?  Or should i take it out and FTC it.  I have about 4 hours until dinner.  I am also putting in 5pds of Salmon I have brining.  And I promise pictures tomorrow!  Thanks for the Advise.

Smoking Duck

Ahrond,

None of the briskets I do pull apart with a fork.  They will get very tender, but the brisket is too lean a cut to just pull apart.  Simply slice against the grain and serve with some great barbecue sauce.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

I would wrap it in foil with some apple juice and keep it in a 200 degree oven (or the bradley).  In 4 hours, it should real hard to slice as it may fall apart.
I have not tried to pull brisket although often it is very hard to slice even with razor sharp knives as it can fall apart while slicing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ahrond

I wasn't looking to do pulled brisket.  I will be very happy with juicy slices.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum ahrond!

Sometimes the Brisket falls apart, and sometimes it doesn't  - my first one did not.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

If you want to pull the brisket, one member (SmokeHouse Rob; who also brined his briskets) had mentioned to take it to 205°F-210°F. If you had been smoking it at 200°F-210°, you will have to use a cabinet temperature of at least 230°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

I think Gizmo has the approach for very tender brisket.  It does take a higher IT for brisket as HabS says.  Another type of roast will be a better choice for pulling when the time comes and you do want to go that way.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

kiyotei

the real test is not trying to pull it apart but just sticking the thermometer in.  If it goes in real easy, like poking a marshmallow, then its very done.