Noob with DigiQ question

Started by tssgery, June 18, 2008, 03:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tssgery

So, I must be an idiot because for I can't find the specifics I need although I'm sure they're somewhere...

I'm a new OBS owner. Actually, I will be when FedEx delivers it tomorrow  ;D

I bought the OBS instead of the DBS with the intent to buy a separate PID or DigiQ for the finer grain control. I'm looking to both monitor/control the smoker temp as well as monitor the food temp.

Anyway, I'm trying to determine exactly what to buy from thebbqguru.com

Based upon posts I've seen, it looks like I need:

- The DigiQ II (http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=235)
- The Power Raptor (http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=167)

There some talk about using a computer power cord as well, but I'm not sure exactly why that is.

Is that it? Anything else I need?

Any other advice for a noob?

Smokin Soon

I called those guys today and those 2 goodies are like 360 bucks. After reading all kinds of stuff, and not really thinking it would be fun to build one, [picturing sparks flying and a dead Bradley]. If money is no object, then get there competitor package that will shut down your smoker when the meat probe hits the mark. I think it was almost 600 bucks. With all the cool help I recieved here I chose the Auber
available on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bradley-Smoker-PID-Temperature-Controller_W0QQitemZ200231561487QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50926QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There was a lot of satisfied people here with this unit. They also say that the support from Auber is good. That's good enough for this newbie smoker. By the way, the guru's here also reccomend the Maverick et-73 temp thingie. Boy were they ever right!!!

Smell the smoke and have fun!!

tssgery

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 18, 2008, 06:12:44 PM
I called those guys today and those 2 goodies are like 360 bucks.

Those items should run around $269, not $360.

I'll take a look at the one on ebay as well.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tssgery on June 18, 2008, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 18, 2008, 06:12:44 PM
I called those guys today and those 2 goodies are like 360 bucks.

Those items should run around $269, not $360.

I'll take a look at the one on ebay as well.

Tssgery;
Welcome to the forum.

You are correct - the total price is $269 plush s/h. If you check ebay they do sell their returned and recondition temperature control devices there. If you don't mind a reconditioned one, you may get lucky and they may have one for sale.

A computer power cord is the electrical power cord which one end plugs into the back of a desktop computer, and other end plugs into the electrical outlet. You need this cord to replace the power cord that connect the smoking cabinet to the generator. If you don't have an extra one around the house, they are easily obtainable for Radio Shack, Staples, Office Depot, and I believe Best Buy has them in stock.

You will also need a power strip or surge protector, because the hook up requires extra outlets.

The hookup instructions that come with the Raptor/Guru (DigiQ II); may be incorrect. This is because Bradley made a design change.

Hookup:
1- Plug the computer power cord into the back of the cabinet.
2- Plug the other end of this cord into the back of the Raptor, now your cabinet (heating element) is connected to the Raptor.
3- Plug the Raptor into a outlet on the power strip.
4- Connect the blower fan cord to the back of the Raptor, and connect the other end to the DigiQ II labeled "FAN".
5- Plug the AC adapter cord to the DigiQ II labeled "POWER".
6- Plug the AC adapter into one of the outlets on the power strip.
7- Plug the generator into an outlet on the power strip.
8- Attach the temperature probes your are going to use, to the DigiQ II.
9- Plug the power strip into a wall outlet; and you should be set to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tssgery

Thanks Habanero, that's great information.