Smoker died

Started by zhongyi, June 14, 2008, 07:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhongyi

I was preheating my smoker, and went to the store.  While at the store, a sudden thunder storm rolled in and gave my OBS a shower.  When I got home, I moved the smoker into the garage but after about 10 minutes the unit went completely dead.  Any ideas?

West Coast Kansan

OBS has a power board just below the door that is moisture sensitive.  Could be the problem.  :(

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

zhongyi;
Sorry to have to welcome you to the forum this way.

Most likely the electrical components became wet, and it may have shorted out, and you may have to call Bradley.

It may be salvageable. Unplug every thing and check to make sure your GUI outlet did not trip. Check the fuse located on the back of the generator, and replace if needed. Then remove the 7 to 8 screws located at the bottom of the generator, and carefully open it up. It will open like a clam shell. Check to see for any signs of electrical shorts. If there are none, use a hair dryer to completely dry the inside. Finally check to make sure there are not foreign materials that have attached themselves to the electrical connections; if so remove them. If everything looks good I would first plug it into a power strip, that has the power switch turned off. Make sure the generator switch is in the on position, then turn the power switch to on.

If the generator works, then as a precaution, I would remove the lower face of the cabinet, that contains the heat controller and make sure that is dry. If you disconnect the lower face place, make sure you take a picture of the wiring, or note how the wiring is setup so you won't have any problems hooking it back up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Good advise Hab. zhongyi keep us posted!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Sausage Maker

sorry for your loss ....... now for a moment of silence
soylent green is people

zhongyi

Hopefully it isn't lost...just in a temporary coma

iceman

I think with following Habs suggestions it just might be able to "Play the piano again". If not call Bradley. They will work with you. Please let use know what you find out.

zhongyi

As a follow-up for all of you that helped.  I am testing the unit right now.  So far, all the indicator lights are back, the puck advance is working, and the heating element is getting red.  I have my thermometer in the cabinet and am in the process of (hopefully) bringing it up to operating temperature.  So far, so good.  Thanks for all your help.

West Coast Kansan

Hip, Hip,  :D That is great news.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Glad to hear it is working.

Mine almost got caught uncovered in a torrential thunderstorm about an hour ago. That made me think of your problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)