First try at brisket

Started by RhinoDoc, December 06, 2004, 07:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhinoDoc

OK - I am in Texas, and here brisket rules. My wife bought me the smoker primarily for brisket - I have ruined many attempts on my old Brinkman and using the smoker box on my grill. I tried chicken and a ham first, just to get the hang of it. Decided to try a brisket this weekend.

Trimmed the fat, slathered it all over with a mustard sauce, then rubbed it with the Number One rub from S&S, let it sit a couple days in the fridge. Fired up the smoker to 200 at 5:30 AM, put the brisket on, with a remote meat thermometer buried in the deepest part (right where the flat and point meet). By 6:30 PM had an internal temp of 170, pulled it off, wrapped it in foil, put it in the oven for about 15 minutes until it got to 180. It had great flavor, was tender, but a little overdone. I suspect I should bury the probe in the flat where it is thinner and where I am getting most of the meat I will eat from - i.e., I think the flat was overcooked by the time the thick part got to 180.

On the other hand, the kielbasa I smoked for the last 2 hours was awesome.

Tried jerky last night and it came out wonderful - I will probably have to get a meat grinder - I just used some venison hamburger from last season.

SmokinLarry

Sounds like you know Briskets, haven't tried one yet. Think i better wait for warmer weather. I see talk all over the forum about Smoke & Spice book. Where do i find one??

Larry

Andy

How long did it take you to do the brisket?  I am thinking about trying one and wanted to get an idea of how long it took.

I bought just the flat...so it should not take as long...of course my high here saturday while smoking ribs was low 30's and started and finished in the mid 20's.

RhinoDoc

It was in the low to mid 40's outside when I started at about 6 AM, warmed up to high 50's during the day, I took it out about 6:30, and I think that was a little too long, at least at 200 degrees. It took a fair amount of fiddling with the rheostat to maintain the temp, so I will definitely be looking into getting the Raptor. Christmas is coming.....

MallardWacker

RD,

Just my sugestion here.  I have had the same problem, sounds like you are doing a butcher pack, point and deckle.  The thiner part(the point) does get done faster and can be over done when you do a butcher pack.  BigSmoker has talked me into doing just the point, since I have done this my product does came out more consistant when it comes to doneness.  I know it's about a dollar more a pound but if you stiil want to do a butcher pack, place your probe in the point of the meat and don't about the deckle.  Just my thoughts on the temp, cook at 220 till a internal of 185, wrap with foil and a towl then let rest for about 2hrs. HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

RhinoDoc

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />RD,

BigSmoker has talked me into doing just the point, since I have done this my product does came out more consistant

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So you buy just the point? Or do you lop it off? If all I find is the butcher pack, is there any advantage to cooking the whole thing? I realize it is a waste of money to throw out the deckle, but I went to 2 stores and both had the same full butcher cut.

BigSmoker

Me personally if all you can get is the entire brisket cut the deckle off(remove the fat glob between the two pieces, I would do this even if I cooked the whole thing) put it on the top shelf with the flat underneath and cook them with two different thermometers.  Pull the flat at 180-185°f FTC(a new bbq acronym for foil, towel, cooler) it then cook the deckle to 200°f then FTC as well.  Use the flat for sliced and the deckle for pulled.  Have fun cause once you get the brisket down pat it will be all you want to smoke.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />FTC(a new bbq acronym for foil, towel, cooler)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or a new acronym for not using it![:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

BIG BROWNIE POINTS for who ever came up with FTC.  Dude, excellent!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />FTC(a new bbq acronym for foil, towel, cooler)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or a new acronym for not using it![:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LOL.  It took me a second but I got it.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<font color="red">Or a new acronym for not using it!</font id="red">[:D][:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:D][:D][:D]LOL[:D][:D][:D]
However...I don't think anyone should be saying FTC in Kirk's term, cause if you FTC, where do you put the beer?

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.