1st Time Cold Smoke (cheese)

Started by lakestatefishing, June 17, 2008, 05:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakestatefishing

I did some cold smoking for the 1st time today. I have the OBS and have not done any mods yet. I was able to keep the temp under 100F by putting a couple bowls of ice in the smoker and keeping the smoker vent wide open. I think it worked... Air temp was appoximately 80F at the time of smoking. I did swiss, extra sharp cheddar, and semi-soft that has salami in it.  The salami cheese smelt awesome! Can't wait to try the finished product.
Minnesota Fishing Reports www.lakestatefishing.com

Gizmo

Vac pak if you can and give them a rest in the refrigerator for about a week.  This will alow the flavors to penetrate the cheese and even out the flavor. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

I second what Giz has to say.  I try my hardest to wait at least 10 days before sampling smoked cheese.  It'll be worth the wait if you can make it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Giz and Duck are right to suggest waiting a week or so before eating. I have tried vac packing and just wrapping in plastic wrap for the wait period and tasted no differance. So if you do not have a vac sealer it will still be great.

iceman

Ditto to all said. That week (or longer if you can) makes all the difference in the world. ;)