Heavenly Ham?

Started by Smoking Duck, June 17, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I used to get Heavenly Ham (kinda like Honey Baked Ham for those unfamiliar) a long time ago.  The one thing I liked about it was the "crust" that the ham had on it.  If I remember correctly, they actually took a propane torch to the ham to bake on the crust.  Does anyone here know what they used to form the crust?  I believe it was simply dark brown sugar and then they quickly ran a porpane torch over it to glaze it.  I was contemplating doing that with the canadian bacon that I have that is currently curing in the refer and was just wondering if anyone knew.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

If I remember Giggles...it's like a paste of honey and brown sugar...sugar stays kinda "crusty" and the honey melts into the meat? And I think they put it into a nuclear oven (commercially) but you could just blow torch it...I think you'd have to be REALLY CAREFUL (though) about burning the sugar...just my HO...:)

Gizmo

Can you call it a Ham brulee then?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

LQ, did yo just call yourself a HO?  I expected better of you.  :P
Consiglieri

La Quinta

That was funny Consigs :)...nah just my humble opinion!!! YOU GUYS....geezzz....

La Quinta

Ham brulee...yeah...yeah...that's it!!! :)

Consiglieri

Quote from: La Quinta on June 17, 2008, 09:53:56 PM
That was funny Consigs :)...nah just my humble opinion!!! YOU GUYS....geezzz....

Not nearly as fun, but humble opinions count for something.   I'm waiting for Daffy to quack in on this one, now that the slow pitch is in the air... :D
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Sorry, Sigs, but I no longer play softball  ;D  Plus, me and LQ are like peas and carrots........
Thanks for the honey and brown sugar LQ.  Didn't think of honey......I watched them form the crust one time and they were doing it with a little handheld propane torch.....you're right though as you have to give it a quick pass or it will burn quickly.

Did someone mention HO?  Unfortunately, Consig, at my stage in life, the only Ho I ever think about these days are Ho-Hos.  ;D

geofite

I found this recipe for a crunchy glazed ham.

Honey Baked Ham (Copy Cat)

Honey Baked Hams are basted in fruit juices and then glazed with a mixture of brown sugar and honey. Here is a copy cat recipe from Family Circle Magazine. Have to say, I love Honey Baked Hams. Makes 1 7 lb. ham.
SERVES 8 (change servings and units)

Ingredients

1/2 (7 lb)  spiral cut smoked ham (@ 7 lbs. fully cooked)
1/2 cup pear juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 ° F.

2. Place ham, cut end down, in a large baking pan.

3. Mix pear nectar and orange juice in a bowl.

4. Bake ham for 15 minutes basting frequently with juices.

5. Mix brown sugar and honey together in a small bowl.

6. Brush mixture over ham and bake for another hour or until internal temperature reads 140 °F.

7. Honey Baked Ham corporation uses a butane torch to carmelize the glaze to a crust.

8. The ham is placed on top of a huge metal drum covered with foil and carmelized.

westexasmoker

I think I'd have to pass on the torch, if you ever saw my welding expertise you would understand!  ::)  I glaze my hams with a honey, molasses, absoultely wild bbq sauce and bourbon mixture and then throw it into my off-set box, after smoke, at about 350 just long enough to set the glaze up.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

geofite

Here is another recipe.

Here is the super secret version of a glazed Honeybaked Ham

Honeybaked Ham Glaze
1 fully cooked shank half ham (bone-in, any)
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon ground clove
1/8 Teaspoon paprika
1 Dash ground ginger
1 Dash ground allspice
Begin by slicing your ham like the sprial hams. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together. Keep the slices thin. Start at the bottom and work your way up, turn the ham as you slice around the ham.

Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.

Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread it around evenly.

Place 2-3 large sheets of wax paper on your work area. Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread evenly over the wax paper.
Roll ham in the sugar mixture, coating well. Coating only the surface you have sliced, not the flat end of the ham.

Turn the ham onto its flat end on a plate. Use a blow torch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns. Be careful not to burn the ham. Turn plate so that you can run the torch over the entire surface of the ham. Repeat with more coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well-glazed.

Serve cold or warm.
This recipe is from a Family Circle Magazine
http://meemoskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/03/honeybaked-ham.html

geofite

More.

What is in ham glaze? How do you glaze a ham? Can you share some ham glaze recipes?
Before we begin, please understand that these are not recipes for pams-hams or other pre-glazed specialty hams. I would not recommend using these on a pre-glazed ham unless you accidentally heated it and are now trying to re-apply the glaze.

What is in the crispy type of ham glaze
Mainly sugar. The great glaze flavor comes from the torching of the sugar – commonly called caramelizing. Same basic concept as crème brulee. (speaking of which, that would be another great use for your torch) Some people add a small dash of cinnamon and/or paprika but the ratio would be less then 10% compared to the sugar. Ours contains honey too but that's a little harder to work with at home.

Ham glaze instruction options
Please know that a butane torch is not the ONLY way to glaze a ham. However, it is, in my opinion, the EASIEST way to glaze a ham. They are difficult to ship otherwise I'd offer one on this website. There are lots of options ranging from pricey culinary store ones to more cost effective ones from any local hardware store. I would recommend the hardware store variety but know that their biggest drawback is that they're bulky – about the size of a household fire extinguisher. Do spend the extra few bucks and get the one that has a self igniting button. When you're done, share it with your friends or your husband because you'll probably have 10 hours worth of glazing out of that one large can of butane. The good news is that your husband can store it in his shed. The fancy kitchen store versions are not my favorites because you have to buy butane and fill them.

For those who don't want to spend money on another gadget or who prefer to experiment, here are some additional suggestions. Other ideas are encouraged so write and tell us what worked for you.

There are two main options for glazing without a torch.
The first is with the broiler and the second is with the stove top. The broiler method involves putting your oven on the broiler option WITH THE DOORS OPEN while you are taking the time to roll the ham in the sugar-mixture. It is important that you aren't heating the oven up because you don't want to cook the ham more – just caramelize the sugar. (best to make sure the rack is in place before turning on broiler). Once the coils are red hot, place the ham in the oven under that area where the coil goes back around and place it as close to the coils as possible without actually touching. Do not step away from the oven. Once you see the sugar bubbling, remove it. If you wait any longer it will start to burn.

The stove top method is to carefully cook the sugar mixture in a pan and then pour a thin layer over the ham. To caramelize the sugar mixture, place the sugar mixture in a heavy skillet or saucepan. Heat and stir over low heat until the sugar melts and turns a golden brown. This one generally ends up with the thickest "crust" but is preferred by those who are afraid of experimenting directly on the ham. (if they wreck the sugar mixture, they throw it out and start over but it never touched the ham.)

A few ham glaze recipes

http://www.pams-hams.com/classic-ham-glaze-recipe.html

http://www.pams-hams.com/savory-ham-glaze-recipe.html

http://www.pams-hams.com/ham-glaze-recipes.html

Smoking Duck

Thanks for the info, geofite!  You sure know how to dig the stuff up.  I'm gonna try it with a butane torch.  It'll give me a reason to use one and if it comes out the way I plan, I'll look like a hero!

SD

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on June 18, 2008, 11:54:02 AM
Thanks for the info, geofite!  You sure know how to dig the stuff up.  I'm gonna try it with a butane torch.  It'll give me a reason to use one and if it comes out the way I plan, I'll look like a hero!

SD

This must have been an episode on "Home Improvement". ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Hey Giggles...if we are peas and carrots...I wanna be carrots...you can be the peas!! :) Just a girl thing I guess!! Ya know us and those orange veggies!!!