atomic buffalo turd question

Started by NEGGS1, June 18, 2008, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEGGS1

hello all,

i have tried the abt's a few times, but my bacon never comes out crispy.  most of the abt's come out with a portion of the bacon uncooked. i tried using a whole piece of bacon wrapped around the abt, i have tried coring the abt and just placing a little bacon around the open end.

thank you in advance for the answers to my questions, and for all the knowledge that i have received just by reading this board. 

neggs1

Habanero Smoker

I no longer wrap mine in bacon. I now chop the bacon and pan fry it first. Then I mix that in with the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, pulled pork and seasonings. I halve the peppers, fill them with the mixture and smoke them. Sometimes I will sprinkle the tops with chopped nuts, sun dried to tomatoes prior to smoking. After smoking I sometimes top them off with a pineapple glaze.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

I still go the coreing route, as far as the open end I use a slice of thin deli ham to cover and wrap my bacon around that and the jalapeno.  I smoke/cook for about 2 1/2 hours at 220!

PS - Use mesquite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Are you using a really thin sliced bacon as suggested on the original recipe? With the thin sliced bacon you can sort of stretch it out while wrapping that makes it even thinner. I love thick bacon, but it will not crisp on a turd!

Payson

I pre-fry my bacon a bit. This makes a huge difference! Pre-cook about of 1/3rd of the way. It's still plenty flexible for wrapping and crisps up much better in the smoker.

NEGGS1

thank you very much

all great ideas!!!, i think that i may have to try them all

neggs1

iceman

I do what Payson does then hit them with the broiler for a minute of two before serving to crisp it up.