Maple Glazed, Maple Smoked Candied Pink Salmon w/pics

Started by MWS, August 10, 2008, 02:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I smoked 5 pink salmon using maple wood (2 hours) and a glaze of maple syrup. I also added some ginger and honey to the initial brine. I added the maple syrup glaze at the 8 hour mark and removed the salmon at 10 hours. The finished product has a very nice jerky texture with a nice blend of sweet and salty. I think a smoked salmon chowder is on the dinner list for tonight.  :P

Just showing off our Dahlias in this pic....... 8)

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

That does look good. Later this morning I heading out to buy some Alaskan Sockeye $9.99/lb. In my area, that's the cheapest I've seen all season for wild salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

$9.99 a pound for Sockeye?  I dream of finding that price for Sockeye.  Add at least $5 to that price here in Toronto.

Nice smoke MWS.  Looks delicious.

Can you post your chowder recipe?

Carter

MWS

Mike 

Kummok

Oh YEAH!! The Pinks look like they won't last long enough to make it into a chowder!.....I'm just a little concerned about all the flowers in the pic though, Mike...tell me yer just giving the salmon a memorial service!?!?!?   :o ;) ;)

MWS

Quote from: Kummok on August 11, 2008, 12:59:39 PM
I'm just a little concerned about all the flowers in the pic though, Mike...tell me yer just giving the salmon a memorial service!?!?!?   :o ;) ;)

Those beauties always win me a blue ribbon at the Fall Fair.......mind you, I do enter them in my wifes name. I have a reputation to uphold you know.  ;) ;D
Mike 

Carter

Thanks.  I'll definitely check out that recipe....and since we just finished up my last batch of Salmon this weekend, I have a funny feeling I'm going to be trying it out sooner rather than later.

Picked up a Foodsaver last week too, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Carter