A T-Shirt-Smokin'

Started by Oldman, June 22, 2008, 02:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

When I first joined this community I posted about smokin' foods in a T-Shirt. Since then there have been many new member so I thought I would re-work my original posting.

T-Shirt smok'in is just that! I'm not a person who likes a lot bark on my smoked foods. I place my stuff inside a white T-shirt and then smoke it.

Halfway through the cook I turn the food upside down. This will allow for equal browning.

You can use a white bed sheet for large items. Towel material is too thick and should be avoided.

During the smoking process of this chicken I did not remove the T-Shirt. Depending upon the color I want, there are times when I do remove the T-Shirt.

How hot you smoke your chicken or type of wood use is up to you.

I also use the T-shirt method on ready to cook hams  (not a fresh ham) after the ham cools to room temp. I wrap the ham with the T-Shirt still around it in plastic and refrigerate a few days. This helps the smoke flavor to "cure" throughout a larger piece of meat.

Below are image of the end product. Chicken, Boston Butt & Buckboard Bacon.

Click To Enlarge
Chicken

Boston Butt

BuckBoard Bacon

Enjoy!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I keep saying I'm going to try this. I even went to a fabric store and bought 100% cotton fabric that they make T-shirt out of (I think it was called Jersey). I going to smoke a whole chicken in a few weeks and I'm going to use this method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I gotta ask Olds...I understand the T-shirt method on a butt (for instance) as you're not a bark fan.... but that chicken looks exactly like ones I've done with no T-shirt...as chicken...to me at least...doesn't really get a "bark" per se (unless I'm wrong) what is the benefit???

If this is a totally stupid question...please feel free to ignore it!!! :)

Oldman

Quotewhat is the benefit???
A milder smoke taste.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

La Quinta

westexasmoker

So is this kinda like tie dye, after ya smoke you got a real cool shirt?  I bet it smells good, I can see my dogs now......Daddy's smell'in pretty good, I know where he sleeps!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Mesquite tye-dye...

:D ;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!