Smoking the Wild Alaskan Salmon class in Homer, Alaska

Started by Kummok, June 26, 2008, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Just a quick blurb, in case any BS forum-mates find themselves near Homer, Alaska on July 19, 11am - 3 pm.

Looks like I'll be giving another 'Smoking the Wild Alaskan Salmon' class then. The class covers pretty much everything from the moment the fish is hooked up until it is popped into your drooling mouth. The class is four hours because that's roughly how long it takes to smoke the fish that will be put in the smoker at the beginning and smoke during the entire duration of the class. The final exam is not-so-hard to pass, sampling the end product right outta the Bradley! I expect that it will be given out on the Spit, but final location has not yet been confirmed.... PM me if you're interested in attending and I'll keep you up to date on final location.

The class has been a lot of fun to teach over the years, but the real reward is when you see past "students" show up at local picnics and potluck events with their smoked salmon, proudly soaking up the compliments from other lip smackers in attendance. Likely more than a few Bradleys have been sold as a result of this class, but I also cover the use of other types of smokers......

aces-n-eights

Cool!  I put that on my calendar.  Looking forward to meeting you!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

KyNola

WOW, that is awesome.  How much would I give to be there to learn from you.  KY is a bit of a trek but I know you will have a great time teaching folks about smoking salmon.  Any chance someone may videotape the class so that you could sell it to your friends on  the Bradley forum?  I know I would be more than happy to purchase it.  I'll wager that others would as well.

KyNola

tsquared

Sounds like a good time, Kummok! One of these days you and I will get together (either down here or up there) and spend some time catching the raw product for your classes. 3 more working days til I'm off for the summer...can't wait to wet a line.
T2

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Kummok on June 26, 2008, 12:09:04 PM
I expect that it will be given out on the Spit, but final location has not yet been confirmed.... PM me if you're interested in attending and I'll keep you up to date on final location.

I'm interesting in the distance-learning session. You know, FEDEX down some smoked salmon and I string along with the class via the internet.   :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

manxman

QuoteAny chance someone may videotape the class so that you could sell it to your friends on  the Bradley forum?

I think Bradley themselves should sponsor it and produce a DVD......... bet it would sell like hot (fish!) cakes!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Kummok

Y'all would be GREAT & fun additions to the class!! Don't think that I'll be a video movie star as a result of these classes though....too fat, too bald, too ugly & definitely NOT PC when speaking! :o

KyNola.....If, by some weird twist of fate, it did get video taped, I'd be obliged to give it free to forum users as payback for all the fun and learning I've benefitted from!

T2....looking forward to that time! Maybe I can see where you pen up the bigs Kings, releasing one a month to head north and tease us!!  ;) :D  Enjoy your summer break!

Sparky....Not offered as distance learning but you CAN travel the distance and do the 'Catch n' Smoke' class in person  ;)

Manx....Nice pun ::) ;)....finish this one: "There once was a smoker from Manx"......   ;) ;D

PAsmoker

Man, I haven't been to this forum in over a year.  Kummok, I just was in Homer last week for a whole 3 hours.  We were on an Alaskan adventure for 16 days.  We were staying in Anchor Point fishing the Anchor River for the few days it was open.  SLOW SLOW SLOW.  I forgot about you up there.  I wished I would've visited the site befor I left.  Anyway,  good to be back on here.

The Original PASmoker
The Original PAsmoker

pensrock

PAsmoker, I'm from PA why was I not invited to go to Alaska?  ::) LOL

That would have been a great trip, I've traveled a great deal for work but never any place like Alaska. I do hope to go there some day though.

Chickenfarmers Wife

Hmmm... might almost be worth a trip off "The Rock".
~Jana~

Kummok

One thing's certain with you and Aces n' Eights....being Alaskans already means the class wouldn't have to be cancelled on account of too much rain. We just wear taller Xtra Tuffs!!  ;) 8)

Kummok

Quote from: PAsmoker on June 28, 2008, 09:30:44 AM
Man, I haven't been to this forum in over a year.  Kummok, I just was in Homer last week for a whole 3 hours.  We were on an Alaskan adventure for 16 days.  We were staying in Anchor Point fishing the Anchor River for the few days it was open.  SLOW SLOW SLOW.  I forgot about you up there.  I wished I would've visited the site befor I left. .....
Dang...sorry I missed the chance to meet you PA... :'(  I've got too much wild salmon in the freezer and woulda had to send 200-300 pounds back with you!  ;) ;) ;D

Note to Pensrock....As the famous Jedi fisherman Yoda said, "There is no "hope to go to Alaska"...there is either GO to Alaska or DON"T GO to Alaska"  ;) Okay, so I made that up, but there are lot's of ways to get here...even Craigslist "rideshares"....don't wait until your too old to pull in the 250 # halibut.... ;) ;)

aces-n-eights

Quote from: Kummok on June 29, 2008, 11:24:48 PM
One thing's certain with you and Aces n' Eights....being Alaskans already means the class wouldn't have to be cancelled on account of too much rain. We just wear taller Xtra Tuffs!!  ;) 8)

I was wondering if i should wear my muck boots!   ;D
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

pensrock

QuoteNote to Pensrock....As the famous Jedi fisherman Yoda said, "There is no "hope to go to Alaska"...there is either GO to Alaska or DON"T GO to Alaska"   Okay, so I made that up, but there are lot's of ways to get here...even Craigslist "rideshares"....don't wait until your too old to pull in the 250 # halibut.... 

Kummok, I completely understand your point. Always wishing and never doing. I guess what I need to do is to get an idea of what the trip would cost then start planning and saving instead of, just hoping to go.

PAsmoker

Pensrock, do not worry about the cost.  Just save save save.  I had been putting off a real vacation for years (about 6 to be exact).  This past fall, my best friend's 36 y.o. wife fell over dead in their house one afternoon.  No warnings.  Gone in a flash.  She left behind 2 great teenagers & a wonderful husband.  I got to thinking life's too short.  Then I run into an old college roommate that informs me another roommate that I hadn't got around to seeing  for 15 years had really advanced cancer.  He  was 37.  I said to my brother (we're both single), we've got to do the trip we've always talked about.  Sooner rather than later.  We rented a motorhome, flew up, and enjoyed ourselves.  I found ABC Motorhome in Anchorage had a 50% off sale for the rental (instead of 200/night & 250/night for the last part of the trip, we paid $100/night).  I also knew someone that had a $50 companion fare for Alaska Air that they were not going to use.  So we had 2 airline tickets for about the price of one.  There are deals out there.  You just got to look.  Unfortunately, my old roommate passed away while we were on the trip.  Like I said, life's too short. 
The Original PAsmoker