Smoking the Wild Alaskan Salmon class in Homer, Alaska

Started by Kummok, June 26, 2008, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Quote from: PAsmoker on July 01, 2008, 02:36:34 PM
Pensrock, do not worry about the cost.  Just save save save.  I had been putting off a real vacation for years (about 6 to be exact).  This past fall, my best friend's 36 y.o. wife fell over dead in their house one afternoon.  No warnings.  Gone in a flash.  She left behind 2 great teenagers & a wonderful husband.  I got to thinking life's too short.  Then I run into an old college roommate that informs me another roommate that I hadn't got around to seeing  for 15 years had really advanced cancer.  He  was 37.  I said to my brother (we're both single), we've got to do the trip we've always talked about.  Sooner rather than later.  We rented a motorhome, flew up, and enjoyed ourselves.  I found ABC Motorhome in Anchorage had a 50% off sale for the rental (instead of 200/night & 250/night for the last part of the trip, we paid $100/night).  I also knew someone that had a $50 companion fare for Alaska Air that they were not going to use.  So we had 2 airline tickets for about the price of one.  There are deals out there.  You just got to look.  Unfortunately, my old roommate passed away while we were on the trip.  Like I said, life's too short. 

Wow! Ain't that the truth!

Enjoy everyday like it was your last... because "one day" will be!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

As Tim Mcgraw would say 'you gotta live like you were dying'

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

Saturday's the big day for newby salmon smokers here in Homer!

The host organization is advertising the class very well on local radio and BBs but space IS limited to the first 20 registrants, so IF you find yourself Homer, come on by. Looking forward to meeting the first to register, Aces n Eights, but don't know if Chicken Farmer's Wife (and/or Chicken Farmer!) are coming up from the Rock ?!?!?! Anyway, I'm anticipating a fun (and hopefully DRY!) time together at the expense of some hungry salmon!

La Quinta

I am soooo amazingly jealous!! Gotta get up there some day...:) Looking forward to hearing about it though! :)

KyNola

LQ, I am with you.  I would love to be there and be a part of that whole scene.  Can't imagine being in that part of the country and seeing all there is and meeting and learning from Kummok.

Since I don't fly, it will have to wait a few more years until I retire to be able to drive that far.  Have a great time Kummok and let us know all about it.

KyNola

aces-n-eights

Looking forward to the class and meeting you, Kummok!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

aces-n-eights

Great class, great to meet Mr Kummok.  He has definitely developed a fantastic system for salmon and, like many things, the preparation is the key.  Take care of the fish throughout the process and you'll get a wonderful end product. 

I think one of the biggest things i learned was during the final exam (tasting!   ;D ).  He said try this - it was awesome.  Then he pulled another piece of smoked salmon out of the Bradley and said try this - and it was also awesome but different.  I could tell it was the same brine flavor but different fish.  The first was smoked sockeye (red) salmon and the second was chum or dog salmon.  Reds are high on the list and chum is fairly low as far as desirable salmon and it was still very, very good.  Goes to prove you can make a very tasty product from fish that many would throw back.

I learned a lot and it was a pleasure to meet Kummok - thanks!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska

Kummok

Great meeting one of the Forum family, Aces-n-Eights...enjoyed having you in the class!

I've finally got the pics of the class downloaded and sharing herein.....Going to funeral for several days....narrative to follow.

(Edit.....Rotated the danged pics in PhotoBucket, but they're still crossways  :-\ ?!?!?!?)

Salmon Smoking Essentials

Processing Fish

Pellicle'd and Ready

Into the Bradley

The finished Product

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

Great pics Kummok! I see a couple of copies of the  fish smoking bible on the table! My copy is well thumbed...
T2

aces-n-eights

Ha!  That's me in the background of the last picture.  Good class - lots of fun and learned some some good technique.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska

West Coast Kansan

Wow, that looks great  ;D.  You got about $60 laying on that table :o.  Lets see how many fish would it take to go to Alaska  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

mikeraste

Great pics.  Reinforces that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Thanks for the schooling.  Let me know if your ever giving a class in Seattle