Rub recipe

Started by KyNola, June 28, 2008, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Thanks Habs.  Now I don't feel quite as unhealthy. :)

KyNola

FLBentRider

Kynola,
Thanks!
Feeling a little better. Still not getting up without an assist, but I am getting around the house a little better.

I don't spare the salt around here too much, I just saw alot of ingredients with salt in the name.

I have been tweaking AB's rib recipe for the bradley, and since it uses the drippings for sauce and has wine in it, I actually reduce the amount of salt quite a bit and it still comes out good.

The salts are needed to coax water and water-soluble protiens and such out of the meat, to mix with the spices and then let osmosis do its thing and put the flavor in the meat, sort of like a self-brining rub.

whew! oxycotin has it goin' on!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR,
Good to hear you're recuperating well.  Dupont Chemical's slogan used to be "Better Living through chemistry".  Make good use of it while you have it. ;D

KyNola

KyNola

Test driving the rub on ribs today.  Painted with CYM and rubbed yesterday.  In the smoker as we speak with hickory and apple combo.  Will report the results.  Also have 24 pounds of belly in the frig to cure for bacon.  Life is really good. ;D

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

I used the rub on some baby backs. I was taking them to a small family reunion, so I smoked them the day, before and finished them on the grill when I got there. When I applied the rub I did so sparingly, after I took them out of the smoker I tested one, and realized I should have applied the rub more liberally. So the following day, I packed up the ribs, grabbed a spray bottle with apple juice and a container that I had stored the remaining rub.

That morning my allergies started to bother me, so I took my medication (which throw my tastes buds way off). So anyway I get there, took over one of the grills to reheat the ribs. Placed them on the grill, spritz with apple juice and sprinkled on some more rub, flipped and did the same to the other side, and set out two pans. The other pan was seasoned with a rub I got from the Weber grilling book, which is my favorite rub. Both ribs were distinct in appearance. The ones seasoned with the Weber recipe, was a coarse rub.

Everyone loved the ribs with your rub, and the pan with your rub mix went first. On the first serving people would take one of each, and on seconds they would go to the ribs with your rub. In conversations with my relatives, they reported that they liked both ribs, but preferred the ones that were in the second pan; which were the ones I used your rub on.

So I will use this rub again on ribs, but will apply a more liberal coating next time.

Thanks for the recipe.

PS
This also makes a good table seasoning salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Habs,

Did you use Lawry's seasoned salt in it or another brand? 

Deb

KyNola

Thanks Habs,
Hearing that report from you I take as an extreme compliment.  I too did ribs with the rub yesterday and was really pleased with the results as well.

Deb, I used Lawry's seasoned salt.

KyNola

KyNola

Habs,
One more thing.  If you think the recipe is worthy of posting on the recipe site, feel free to do so.

KyNola

Mr Walleye

KyNola

Ok... You guys got me.  :D I just couldn't... not try it!  ::)

I just mixed up a 1/2 batch, generously rubbed 4 racks of ribs and fired them in the smoker. I had a quick taste of the rub, definitely not over-powering so I can see Habs comment regarding using a generous amount, has a real nice combination of flavor to it. Based on my initial thoughts I think it's going to be really good. I'll let you know how the finished product is.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Thanks Mike,
I painted my ribs with CYM and covered the ribs with the rub, wrapped in saran overnight and in the smoker the next day.  I was liberal with the rub.  I did not find it overpowering at all.  In my opinion it is also just as good on chicken.

FINALLY I was able to contribute something to the forum instead of asking stupid questions.  The stupid questions aren't over for me by the way.

Hope you enjoy Mike,

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Quote from: KyNola on July 06, 2008, 12:06:34 PM
FINALLY I was able to contribute something to the forum instead of asking stupid questions.  The stupid questions aren't over for me by the way

Welcome to my world, KY  ;D  Now you know why I giggle like a schoolgirl.

I have your rub recipe bookmarked and it will be the next one I try.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on July 06, 2008, 04:31:25 AM
Habs,

Did you use Lawry's seasoned salt in it or another brand? 

Deb

Yes. I went with the Lawry's, I believe that what makes this rub have a unique flavor.

KyNola;
I will add this to the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

This rub recipe does look good.  I almost made some this weekend but didn't have the Lawry's.  I'll have to pick some up for next weekend. 

KyNola

Thanks Habs, my wife is so very excited that HER recipe is going to be on the recipe site.

KyNola

Mr Walleye

KyNola

Everybody loved the rub on the ribs!  ;)

I felt the flavor of it is real good. I do prefer a little more heat but that's an easy solution. Everybody else liked it the way it is. I will definitely be using it again. Two thumbs up!

Thanks for sharing. Pass a thank you along to your wife as well. ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes