Rub recipe

Started by KyNola, June 28, 2008, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

KyNola,

Thanks for the recipe.

We are going to put this on pork chops and bake / broil them tonight.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Thanks Mike,
Glad you liked it.  I will certainly pass the thanks on to the wife as she is the one who found the original recipe that we tweaked up to the one you now have.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Eight thumbs up from the FLBentRider clan!

The youngest 2 ate too many goldfish before dinner....  ::)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Thanks FLBR.  So far no complaints from anyone(or at least they haven't posted them)so I feel pretty good about it.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I mixed a little in my ground beef for my lunch burger, and my older kids picked up on the aroma.

"Dad, did you put the rub in/on your burger?"

;D

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

It's great on scambled eggs, this is a pretty good all around rub and seasoning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

landtosea

I tried it out with some Hickory  in the Bradley on some Baby backs and they were great. I went a little too heavy on the rub by caking it up but just extra tasty. Next time I will coat well, but not so thick.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum landtosea!

I've put that rub on:

Chicken
Pork chops
Eggs
Pot Roast

It's been great on all!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NJtuna

Hi all, I just made this rub for a bunch of ribs and brisket for a family party this weekend. I was just questioning myself, if the sugar used should of been brown sugar. Well I followed the recipe as described and used regular sugar. Is everyone using white sugar in this rub? Would there be much difference in taste between brown or reg. sugar? I have been browsing this forum for over a year and just realized I wasn't a member!

FLBentRider

I used regular (white) sugar, and made a note that for the next batch I would use brown sugar.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

NJTuna,
First of all, welcome to the forum as a member.  As you already know, there are so many folks on here who are so educated about all things smoking.  These guys and gals teach me something everyday.

As for the rub recipe, we used white sugar although we thought about brown sugar.  There is no magic to the recipe.  We found the original recipe on line and tweaked it just a bit for the flavor we were looking for.  Added a couple of ingredients and increased the quantity of a couple spices in the recipe my wife found on line.  Brown sugar will of course work.  We felt like brown sugar was not going to give us the flavor we were trying to duplicate.  The neat part about recipes is if you change one ingredient in a recipe, you can claim it as your own. :D  

Hope your family finds the rub enjoyable. If not,it's your recipe! ;)

KyNola

FLBentRider

Where are my manners?

W E L C O M E to the forum NJtuna!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

NJtuna;

Welcome to the forum.

I also used white sugar in this recipe. Brown sugar will give it a different taste, and during storage it will harden in the rub (unless you dry it in the oven first).

Unless I'm looking for that brown sugar flavor, I now use white sugar. I thought brown sugar was less process then white, but a year ago I learned how commercial brown sugar is made. They refine it to white sugar, then add the molasses back into it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I've taken a liking to the granulated brown sugar for rubs. It doesn't cake up like the regular kind. Now that I am hooked on it, my store doesn't seem to have it anymore. :'(

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Lefty_Smoker

I use turbinado sugar in most rubs now.

Since being turned on to turbinado sugar, I rarely use white or brown sugar anymore.