Just ordered my SS Bradley and had a question

Started by deadeye, December 08, 2004, 03:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

I need to order some wood chips and was wanting some input?? I think I am going to try and cook some chicken on my 1st go around. Also anything else I can cook with the chicken that I can throw on there. Also if you have some recipes to throw at me shoot away!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a big brisket fan but any other items will be great!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help on this board.

Thanks

Derek

Andy

My first smoke was chicken leg quarters..the leg and thigh...and a half dozen country style ribs.

My 4 year old ate 3 whole chicken legs..that is a lot...and it was excellent.

The ribs were fantastic as well...Country style ribs are the butt section cut into ribs...and are fantastic.

Keep the smoker around 200 degrees...use some hickory...I am going to smoke the same thing this weekend but try maple finished with an hour of apple.  Smoke for about 6 or 7 hours...you are cooking butt section ribs and dark meat...it is hard to over cook it since it has so much juice in it to begin with.

A few tips I learned on my first smoke..

1.  Let smoker warm up to about 250...you will lose a lot of temp when you load it.  

2.  Only put hot water in smoker pan...file half way and empty after the wood pucks are all burnt

3.  Get 2 bubba pucks from Chez bubba...they are worth it

4.  Have plenty of beer on hand..[:D][:D]..and watch about 3 games while smoking

Chez bubba tips to pass along...when seasoning the smoker...let teh burner tray warm up before advancing the pucks

Wipe down the door seal and frame of the door...where seal attaches well after each use..the rest is a curtisy rub down.

Keep the door closed....noneed to open it...it will take care of itself

BigSmoker

Derek,
Welcome to the forum.  You have purchased a great smoker.  You can order the pucks @ //www.chezbubba.com.  They stock all the different ones and offer fast courteous service.  As far as the chicken goes seperate skin from breast carefully and rub a generous amount of real butter and herbs de provence under the skin.  Use about 3 hrs worth of your favorite wood for smoke I like 2 apple to 1 pecan for fowl.  Continue to cook in smoker after smoke stops until breast meat is 160°f.  Smoker temp should be between 225-250°f.  Will take about 5 hrs.  I would do two chickens cause the first one will be gone before you know it and the second one will make some great smoked chicken salad.

Some beginner tips:  always leave top vent open about 1/3 to let out excess moisture,  only load the amount of pucks you plan on using, don't open the door!!, if you have to peek shine a flashlight through the vent to view your product, use a dual remote thermometer like a Polder or Maverick to monitor meat and cabinet temp, wipe down door seals with a wet(hot water) paper towel when your finished smoking,  have fun.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

deadeye, welcome to the forum, lots of great info here, play with your smoke , your taste might be diffrent , try 2 hours but its up to your taste buds, what i have read is cooking meat 4 hours of smoke is all she will take, cold smoking with a t shirt will take more smoke , with your chicken try this, f you have the time, place on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet and allow to air-dry 8-12 hours in the refrigerator. This helps create crispy skin during cooking
and remember that a qustion not asked is a question not answerd

nsxbill

In your initial post, you said you were going to order some wood chips.  Can I assume you have another smoker for this wood?  The Bradley uses Bisquettes distributed by BS dealers-no chips involved in the BS.

Just thought I better respond to your post...

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

deadeye

Hey guys thinks for all that great info.Bill yes I did mean Bisquettes but I typed Wood chips, you know us Texans!!!!!!! On those Bubba Pucs are they stainless steel? If so what is the diameter and thickness I think I could just make them out of SS rod. I own parts in a fastener distributor and we deal with that stuff all the time!!!!!!!!!. I just wnated to say thanks I am an avid bowhunter,Actually I just love to hunt. I am leaving to go to Kansas in a bit, From Texas take us about 9 hours to get there. WIll be back Monday wish me luck. I hope I have some questions about some deer steaks when I get back!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Derek

nsxbill

The bubba pucks are aluminum.  Pretty cheap - cheap enough to avoid making your own.  If you have a lathe and the stock, and more importantly the time, you can make them out of pretty much any metal..2 1/4" diameter and 9/16" thick.  If you are going to make them yourself, make 3.  If you use 3, you won't have to put another puck on top the Bubba's to push the puck onto the generator when the smoking part of your cooking is completed.

Good luck on the hunt.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

humpa

deadeye.....You say chicken? Try this so easy recipe.
Soak chicken(I like breasts naked) in zesty Italian dressing for 2 hours. Then, wrap em up in bacon using toothpics to hold the bacon on. Smoke em slow and easy to int temp of 167. If you got drumsticks, take them to 175. FTC them for a couple hours and presto. Oh my, I'm getting hungry just thinking of how good this is. Also, don't think that brisket isn't good. If done right, you'll think you just had a piece of prime rib....Good luck!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

upinsmoke

If this a stupid question,please no laughter.What is FTC.Another question is,do I follow the seasoning directions to the "T" or is there other things I need to know before I get started

Oldman

upinsmoke don't feel bad I just ask the same question a few days back.
F= Foil
T= Towel
C= Cooler

The idea is once you are done with your meat is to wrap it in foil, warp a towel around it and then place it inside an ice chest for a couple of hours. This creates a passive type of oven to continue the cook and to allow favors to meld more.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by upinsmoke</i>
<br />If this a stupid question,please no laughter.What is FTC.Another question is,do I follow the seasoning directions to the "T" or is there other things I need to know before I get started
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I find the FTC method a must with brisket.  This time allows all the juices to redistribute through out the meat.  If you cut a brisket straight out of the smoker all the juices will run right out and leave you with a dry piece of meat.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

bsolomon

Remember to refer all beginners to the sticky thread at the top of each forum (more specifically to the FAQ in progress project - http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html

The purpose of the FAQ in progress is to provide the answers to these types of questions.  Seasoning, bisquette selection, first time cooking choices, and a multitude of recipes have been compiled.  deadeye - please review the material we are working on and let us know if you find it helpful.