Greetings! New BDS6

Started by Shrike, June 29, 2008, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrike

Hey all - just ordered and paid for my new BDS 6 racker.

I am sure I will have many questions, but here we go! Got it at Bass Pro cause I had about $375 in unused gift cards. Plus I sold a winchester .458 mag, so I reinvested.

I have been thinking long and hard about another stick burner, but I decided to go for the bradley instead. I hope i did not make a bad decision, but the thing I liked best and hated the worst about the stick burners are tending to it. This will be different.

I do worry though about the magnetic strips wearing out though. I do not know why, I just do! Was already thinking about blind riveting hasps on the closing side....

Now then, what first smoke should i make this 4th weekend??????? and what pucks should I start with.... decisions, decisions, decisions....!!!!!!

West Coast Kansan

Welcome and congrats on your re investment  ;) There is a conversion period to get used to your new smoker but you will come to love it. Click the smoker below and you will get lots of ideas for your first smoke.  ::)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Welcome.  You made the right choice.  Still have to monitor it a bit (make sure better half thinks it is a lot so that you can stay away from the honey do list).  It will surely be less than the old stick job and once you get a feel for it, you'll never go back.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Welcome to the forum Shrike. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

westexasmoker

Welcome aboard Shrike!

Once you've done a couple of smokes with your BS, you'll wonder how you lived without it!  I too had used my off-set for years (still have it and it ain't goin nowhere!) and turned out some darn good vittles with it, but your right baby sitting that thing was a pain....to some thats how its supposed to be, and I won't argue, but I guess I've gotten old and lazy....Ok well lazy and the BS allows me to be just that and still turn out great food, maybe even better!  ;D  Lots of good folks on this forum always willing to give ya hand!  Oh now you did ask  which pucks to buy.........   ;D :D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Shrike

Thanks Gang!!! Looking forward to it.

Gonna pick her up tomorow or wedensday. Going to also get a cover, just curious now what flavour pucks to stock up on....

La Quinta

Welcome Shrike (first off)...what kind of pucks are up to you...depends on what you're doin! Sounds like you are just a newbie with the Bradley as you have another smoker. I guess the good news is....the variety of puck woods available for your taste is kinda endless. Fruity woods for fish to veggies...and deep hearty woods for your "heavy lifting" meats...up too you...that's the fun dude!! :)

Glad to have ya with us!!

Shrike

Hab - Thanks!!!! that was awsome info!

For all - I do not have enough time to get Iceman's rub, what would be a good substitute?

Iceman - I work also in Anchorage, Kenai, Prudhoe, Aniak, Bethel, McGrath, Kotzebue, Nome and some other locations in AK and the Northern Territories in CA.

Painfully familiar with Frontier and PenAir, as wellas security Aviation. Where are you? Fairbanks'ish?

Shrike

Quote from: La Quinta on June 30, 2008, 07:43:03 PM
Welcome Shrike (first off)...what kind of pucks are up to you...depends on what you're doin! Sounds like you are just a newbie with the Bradley as you have another smoker. I guess the good news is....the variety of puck woods available for your taste is kinda endless. Fruity woods for fish to veggies...and deep hearty woods for your "heavy lifting" meats...up too you...that's the fun dude!! :)

Glad to have ya with us!!

Thanks! My daughter is kinda hung up on "hickory smoke" -- LOL - 10 year old going on 40!

Hickory OK? or what is your favorites?

La Quinta

I would smoke my foot in Hickory...but it might be a girl thing!! :)

Mr Walleye

Hey Shrike... Welcome to the forum!

LQ is right, it's kinda a personal taste thing. Having said that my favorites would be Apple and Hickory. I usually use Hickory on my sausage and jerky and Apple on ribs and butts. I have used Pecan and Alder as well. Westex has been preachin' Mesquite and I have never used it.... yet. I think all his preachin' is rubbing off. I will have to try it.  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

See I'm working on it, almost got Mike on the hook, come to the darkside....Bwahhaaaaa!  LQ is next, if we can pull her foot out of the hickory!  ;D

C

La Quinta

Ok...ok...WTS...but ONLY ON BEEF....gimme...just a crack in the door...I'll go in but...gently...first...

westexasmoker

Dang ya figured it out LQ.....a little goes a long way, but as they say quality is better than quantity!!

C