Which is better??? BDS versus BSS with PID

Started by WestCoastSmoke, June 30, 2008, 12:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Awesome, that is not a bad drive for a get together.  We don't do much here in SoCAL  ;D.  You can check out a few of our quick little get togethers.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6580.75

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6168.0
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum WestCoastSmoke!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

WestCoastSmoke

Thanks for the hearty welcome, I am looking forward to many hours of trying out new recipes and refining a few of my own.
With the amount of support here it looks like I will have no shortage of taste testers.

I think I might kick off this 4th of July weekend with a new BSS 4 shelf unit. Any suggestions for the first smoke? I was thinking a brisket and then maybe a couple of whole chickens.

FLBentRider

Brisket can be tricky. I would start with the chicken or a Boston Butt.

The chicken is going to get the fastest and easiest.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I agree withe FL chicken is the easiest meat to go with for your first smoke!  Brisket can be intimidating, but I've found with the BS its a heck of alot more forgiving than using my old offset!  Whatever ya smoke just remember, have fun, relax and if ya think ya didn't do very good there is always next time!  Keeps us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

west coast,,

there is not to  much more I can add.. i did buy OBS and after 8 months did the mod with a PID both ways  work quite well though i prefer it with a PID especially on a  long  smoke / cook to keep the  tempture constant

just my  2 cents

Beef

beefmann

bradley doesent make a bad smoker there all  good.. i  do own a OBS 4 rack that  was modified  after i owned it a  year  with a PID , blower and 900 watt heater. My biggest complaint was the heat recovery was slow in comming  with any  volume of meat ( 10 pounds  plus) that  is the reason for  my mod .. and Yes you could have done  a lot  with the 500 watt heater like i  have in the first  year just takes a while and got to remember not to open the door every  20 minutes ,,  let the  smoker handle  the cook

remember Low .. Long..  Slow

what  did I say?

LOW, LONG AND SLOW !!

500 watts should be plenty in most cases

beef

LindaCC

What is the PID? I am looking at ordering a Bradley.

classicrockgriller

Hiya Linda, welcome to the Bradley forum.

As far as the pid, it is a temp monitoring device that is used to get a tigher range on the temps of your smoker. It is use a lot in smoking fish (it helps to ramp the temp up instead of doing it manual) Some use them some don't. Good luck and if you have any question, just ask.   CRG