Which is better??? BDS versus BSS with PID

Started by WestCoastSmoke, June 30, 2008, 12:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestCoastSmoke

Ok, newbie here. I am looking for some input on purchasing my first Bradley Smoker.
I've read alot about the shortcomings with the DBS and how the BSS and OBS aren't quite right until a PID is added.

So here's my question: Which is better a BSS with a PID or a DBS?

-Need Advice

manxman

QuoteOBS aren't quite right until a PID is added.

I have a SS OBS and have used it for several years just as it came out of the box, only additions are a Maverick ET dual probe thermometer, some jerky racks and bubba pucks and it is BRILLIANT!

Yes the PID may add some bells and whistles and improve performance somewhat but make no mistake, you can get superb cold and hot smoked food out of a bog standard unit. IMHO smoking is more of an art than a science and the OBS caters for that.

I am sure there are plenty of people who will say otherwise but given the choice again I would stay with my plain SS OBS.

I don't have any experience of the digital unit and will leave that to others.  :)

Manxman

Wildcat

I agree with Manxman.  I finally added a PID but everything can be done very well without one.  I also have the OBS in SS.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

I don't know anything about the BDS but am happy with my SS. Like Manxman I've been using it right out of the box, with no pid. After a couple or few smokes you get to know your box and go from there. The same goes for any smoker, you have to get to know it and make adjustments from there.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

They are both fine smokers, IMHO.  It depends on what you're looking for.  If you want to do sausage or anything that might need more exact temp control, go with a PID.  If you don't envision doing that, either will work just fine for any other smoking needs.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

I have a OBS and am very happy with it...as Duck said...it depends on what you want to do with it....I think the stainless is pretty...but serves no real function for me...I spent many years putting stainless appliances in homes for "sale-ability". I really don't understand why someone would pay for that...other then looks. I could be wrong on the Bradley...(which is not unusual for me) but the black 4 or 6 rack is fine....

westexasmoker

I agree with LQ and SD, they are all fine tools, but its your money!  I have no experience with BDS and went with the original and I believe that they will both turn out the same quality....As far as stainless, I could'nt justify the extra money, mine lives outside 24/7, now in the well house (should of thought of that before  ;D)  I can tell you a pid is a great addition,  I killed my OBS second time I used it....not the BS fault all mine..and with the pid I know I'm good, if I'm asleep or like I do so many smokes right before I go to work (I work the afternoon shift) and I can throw my food in and let the pid do the work!!  You'll be golden either way you go!  But use mesquite!   ;D

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

You are a trip WTS...have you EVER tried another wood....just for uh...a...laugh??

westexasmoker

I thought about it once LQ, but then it dawned on me, I must be having an out of body thing or it was the alien's again (I hate it when they don't call first)  So nope stick with what ya know.....matter a fact UPS showed up with 3 new boxes today......Lets get Smokin!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Welcome westcoast.  As with the others, either will do a great job.  I have the 6 rack with no modifications.  Have done sausage to fully loaded ribs and brisket with no issues that a PID would have changed.  When I first got the digital, I was disappointed in the temp swings but quickly realized it did not affect most of what I do so I have not really felt the need yet to change.  Most of my decision on the Digital came from my desire to have a larger unit and the 6 rack only comes in digital.  West Coast Kansan has done a whole suckling pig in his 4 rack so as you might conclude, you can be happy with what ever you get.  I do like the timer indicator on the puck advance and so I know when the next puck will drop or how much longer the wood will burn before the bradley becomes an oven.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Geezz...sorry WestCoast....Welcome first of all...where are ya from? and what West Coast?

WestCoastSmoke

Southern California... the only smoke out here is from the forest fires. :o
Trying to find a knowledgeable shop out here for BBQ is impossible.

I have been toying with the idea of a real texas style bbq or a bradley smoker. I like the idea of the consistency with the bradley, it seems to be alot easier to use (and learn) than a traditional bbq.

Gizmo, how bad are the temp swings with the digital? That is my only concern with that unit. You have the 6 unit right? What kind of capacity does that give you. (I'll use it for groups of 2-20 people)

Gizmo

The temp swing will vary with load.  The larger the load, the more swing I have seen.  As the meat temperature increases (typically over 150 deg) the less the temp swings.  The 6 rack will do a little more than the 4 rack.  There are a few inches in height difference but the racks are closer together on the 6 rack compared to the 4 rack.  You can invert a second set of racks on either unit for thin meats (such as jerky), for a total of 8 or 12 racks respectively.  I have done 9 racks of ribs (racks of ribs not bradley racks) on several occasions and i believe I have stuffed 12 racks in but don't really recommend it (too crowded).  I do finish a lot of my food in the oven after the smoke for added convenience but most here stay true to the start to finish in the Bradley.   

Gizmo

Quote from: WestCoastSmoke on June 30, 2008, 11:17:33 PM
Southern California... the only smoke out here is from the forest fires. :o

How far south?  There are a few of us down here in the San Diego area and just over the hill in the desert.

WestCoastSmoke