2nd Pulled Pork...O!M!G!...MORE than I Expected

Started by Norcal Novice, June 30, 2008, 08:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Novice

OK..so last week, I tried my first pulled pork, with not too much success.  Thanks to your suggestions and encouragement, I tried again, and OMG!!!

I used a 4.5 lb. bone-in shoulder.  I coated with CYM, rubbed with Iceman's rub (no brine this time), and put in fridge for about 2 hours.  Took it out to warm for about 45 min.  Preheated the Bradley to 200°.  Put it on last night for a 4 hour smoke (2 apple to 1 hickory).  Emptied the water bowl & refilled about 10:30 PM last night.  Got up this morning (no worries thanks to the Auber programable PID), and we were at around 160° at 6:00 AM.  Turned it up to 210° and let it go until 190°, around 11:30 AM.  Took it out & FTC until 5:00PM.. Had a meeting to go to, so took it out of cooler, took towels off and put in 170° oven still wrapped in foil until about 7:15 PM.  Got home, pulled it, and OMG!!!  Probably the tastiest pulled pork sandwich I have EVER had, with a generous slop of Iceman's sauce.  I also sprayed with apple juice whenever I opened the smoker door, and also when I wrapped it with foil (also put on some of the sauce then).

Just got the smoker cooled down, and now I'm doing 4 racks of salmon using Boutch's recipe..mostly to give away.

Thanks for all the info from you folks.  I'm having a great time!

La Quinta

You just "Go with your bad self" Nocal!!! Very kool!!! :)

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

You have now entered the smokers twilight zone. :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Yeppers - your hooked.  Congradulations, many more fun smokes ahead.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

KyNola

Nailed it!!  Congrats Norcal.  As everyone has said, you're now officially hooked.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Scotty-G

Way to go NorCal - I thinks you've got it  :D
And welcome to the forum

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 01, 2008, 03:57:56 PM
Smoking is addictive!
Couldn't have said it any better

I've got 3 butts in the smoker right now in preparation for an annual July 4th Family BBQ

so, NorCal - is that short for Northern California?  Any where near the Bay Area or further north?

Scotty-G

Norcal Novice

Yes, Scotty...I'm in the South Bay...Silicon (Santa Clara) Valley.

You?

Scotty-G

Hey Neighbor, I'm in North San Jose  :D

weekendsmoker

Sounds fantastic.  I have a couple of questions if I could please.  What is "CYM" and when you left it for the night, what temp did you leave it at?

Thanks, can't wait to try it.

Jason.

West Coast Kansan

c heap y ellow m ustard

Great finish,,, even more real food happening on the west coast this is cool  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Norcal Novice

Yeah...CYM is Cheap Yellow Mustard.  Don't worry about the taste.  I HATE mustard, but once the shoulder starts cooking, you cant tell it's been coated at all.

As for the temp, I left it at 200 degrees all night, and it was about 150 IT when I checked in the morning.  Since this post, I did another shoulder last weekend (6 lb. bone-in), and it came out FANTASTIC, as well.  I started that one at 8:00 Friday night, and it was done about 3:30 Saturday...just in time for FTC for a couple of hours, then pull & serve.  It was so tender, it fell apart when I took it off the rack and transferred to the foil!

Good luck, Jason!