Disney's Smoked Turkey Legs

Started by Scotty-G, July 01, 2008, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Just got back from taking the family for a fantastic week to Disney World.
Amongst all the princess this and princess that, I managed to find something just for myself . . . or so I thought . . .

The smoked turkey legs that they sold there were VERY GOOD!!!

Everyone liked it soo much that they took mine for themselves  :D

My youngest even asked if I could make this at home for her   ??? 

Granted, it's not as spicey as I would like it but would love to accomodate her.

Does any one know how to make the Disney Turkey Legs?

Thanks
Scotty-G

Habanero Smoker

I think someone did a post on that. I've never had them, but they are probably brined or injected with pink salt; which will give them a ham-like flavor. If you google "Disney Turkey Legs" you get a lot of hits with some of them saying they have the recipe. Here is one I found; if you use your smoker I would not add the liquid smoke.

SMOKED TURKEY
1 cup tender quick salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 tsp. liquid smoke
1 gallon water (or amount to cover pieces)
1 turkey, chicken or turkey legs

Add all together and keep in covered container in refrigerator. Let stand for 24 hours.

When ready to roast, rinse off turkey and roast 2 hours at 350 degrees (whole bird) and then lower oven to 300 degrees until turkey is done. Turkey legs, pork chops, steaks and roasts can also be used this way. Adjust roast times for different cuts.

NOTE: These would also be delicious made in a smoker or slowly grilled over indirect heat.
Source: Uncle Phadreus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANOTHER BRINE RECIPE

1 cup of Tender Quick
1 cup of Table Salt
10 1/2 TBSP of liquid smoke
2 gallons of water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TENDER QUICK INFORMATION
Tender Quick is a blend of salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, and propylene glycol. The amount of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite are 0.5%.

I found it on this site, but it requires certain FrontPage plug-ins, so I not sure if the site will open properly in your browser.
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/23707

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I brine mine in (salt) brown sugar or molassess and then apply 4 hours of Hickory. Folks @ my office say mine are better than the Mouse's.

I get the legs in bulk special order from my local grocer. They are only about 3/4 the size of the Mouse legs. I can't seem to get  the big ones.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

Glad your visit here was fun.

Now a heads up on Bush Gardens in Tampa. SAVE your money and DON'T eat their smoked foods. We were there Monday and all I can  say is the Brisket was over dry, the ribs had to much flavor enhancer, and the chicken was sort of Ok.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!