Went Fishing Tuesday

Started by Kummok, July 03, 2008, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

By local standards, our fishing trip on Tuesday was a bit above average. Weather was clear and blue, seas were relatively calm, whales were letting us know that they were about......overall, a really nice day to be alive in Alaska!

Carter

Wow!!  I wish I was there right now.

Hey Kummok.  The big fish is Halibut right?  What are the smaller ones (not so small by my fresh water fishing standards).

Carter

Buck36

We pack 'em, rack 'em, whack 'em and sack 'em

...that is great!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gator

Hi Kummok

I will trade you Florida fishing trip for an Alaska fishing trip if you're interested!

Gator
www.NauticalGator.com
www.GatorCharters.com

PAsmoker

Awesome!  Looks like a lot of cod as well.  Are those Ling cod or just regular plain ol' cod?   Our biggest halibut never even got close to those two bohemoths.
The Original PAsmoker

Habanero Smoker

Wow! That is more fish then I see in most major supermarkets. Looks great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

huhwhatliar

PAsmoker those are ling cod.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

car54

Kummock and Gator,

Those are some beautiful looking fish but my question is for Kummock. I'm sure the fish will not be wasted but what becomes of all the fish?

Do you own your own boat or do you get a charter?

Just a coincidence but I was talking about you yesterday. A guy I know, his brother is stationed in Fairbanks and he just flew up there today to visit him   

before he is shipped over to Iraq. That has to be one big adjustment to make. From Alaska to Iraq.

Brad

Kummok

Opps!.....sounds like I shoulda given a bit more info. :o  Sorry about that.....Domenick is right on the money...the ugliest ones are Ling Cod and averaged 30-50 lbs...about 14 in that group (4 of us fishing and three "proxies", which allow us to legally catch the limit of handicapped/elderly). 8 halibut were caught (proxies aren't allowed for Halibut...International Fisheries rules). The two biggest halibut are 265ish and 205ish, with the rest averaging in the 20-30 lb range. ALL fish are already either vac sealed and frozen or on the dinner table this week (tonight to be exact, for three of us in the picture). None goes to waste. Out of approx 1200 pounds gross, we packaged about 500 lbs.

This is a non-charter, private group and the boat owners are the two on the left. We traveled about 55 miles from the small boat harbor in Homer, towards Gore Point. Fuel costs alone are currently around US$600.  :'( 

Going out again tomorrow....might have a few more pics to share.....

Gator:
I'll be eating some of this stuff tonight with the boat owners and let them know that you're interested in a "fishing swap". They hunt big game in Africa & Alaska and would likely be interested..... I'll just give them your website info and back out (unless you'll let me tag along as a "finder's agent"  ;) )

Buck36:
Believe it or not, the 'Buttwhackers' are a bunch of teachers making a few good buck$ during their "school's out" downtime. Great bunch of guys and fast with the knives...took care of whacking all those fish up, de-skinning and all, in less than 30 minutes.....

Brad:
Can't even imagine that kinda transition....those guys earn their pay just showing up!

West Coast Kansan

Very cool ,,, I am jealous.  Looks like a lot of fun!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pensrock

Kummok,
  Looks like you guys had a great time. I can't imagine pulling a 200# + fish into the boat. After tomorrows trip you'll have everyones freezers full!  :)
pens

Mr Walleye

Holy smokes Kummok!  :o

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Kinda makes my walleye look... ahhh... small!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gator

Hi Kummok

That sounds good with me, and "yes" you would be welcome to come anytime.

The only thing that could delay fishing in Florida is the weather and T-Storms.
Other than that I'm good to go!

Gator

Smoking Duck

Hey Kummok,

I got a real nice farm pond with some huge Bluegills..........any interest in a swap?  :-\

Ahhhh, never mind......I already know the answer  :'(

One day before I die, I'm gonna go fishing in Alaska if it kills me!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra