Auber PID and first Brisket

Started by Grayghst, July 11, 2008, 05:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayghst

I've been lurking for a bit and have read numerous threads on a PID and cooking brisket. I finally ordered the Auber PID and am in process of cooking my first brisket (10lb). I will post pictures of the brisket after it is done. I have before pictures also. Here is the PID I ordered:
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=73 I will let you know how it works after it comes in.  :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum Grayghst!

Good luck with the brisket!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Grayghst!

Smoked brisket...meat from the gods, gotta love good brisket ain't nothin better!! Good luck! Keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Grayghst

Here are a couple of pictures.
The first 2 are after when I took them put of the fridge and they had been in there about 24 hours with the rub. The second 2 are after 4 hours of smoking in oak and apple (sorry no mesquite  ;)). Getting ready to go in the oven at about 225 for however long it takes to get to 195, I am guessing about 13-18 hours.  They are sitting in a little beef broth and SoCo.  ;D

West Coast Kansan

will check back for more pictures and the address  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

Looks good - when's breakfast ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Hi Gray, welcome to the forum. Everything looks great, enjoy.
2 questions,
How do you like the pid?
How come you're finishing it in the oven and not the box with your new pid?
Just wondering.
HCT
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Grayghst

Quote from: HCT on July 12, 2008, 06:03:32 AM
Hi Gray, welcome to the forum. Everything looks great, enjoy.
2 questions,
How do you like the pid?
How come you're finishing it in the oven and not the box with your new pid?
Just wondering.
HCT

I haven't received the PID yet. I ordered it yesterday. I just checked the brisket and it was done already at about 195-200. Very, very, tender. I now have it FTC. I will take more pictures when I take it out and start slicing.

pop_rivit

Quote from: Grayghst on July 11, 2008, 05:26:02 PM
I've been lurking for a bit and have read numerous threads on a PID and cooking brisket. I finally ordered the Auber PID and am in process of cooking my first brisket (10lb). I will post pictures of the brisket after it is done. I have before pictures also. Here is the PID I ordered:
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=73 I will let you know how it works after it comes in.  :)

That's the same PID that I ordered for mine.  Shipping was blazing fast (ordered on a Sunday, notified that it had shipped on Sunday, and it arrived here in Iowa on Monday).

At first the instructions made it sound like a pain to set up and use but it's really easy.  I like the ability to "set and forget".  It holds the temperature dead on where I set it.

I'm using it for the second time today (yesterday was the first with some ribs).  My only (very minor) issue is the length of the power cord (could be longer).  However I have several old computer power cords and just substituted a longer cord for the one the PID had.  I'd also like the sensor cable to be longer, but again it's a minor issue.

Overall I'm impressed and pleased with mine and hope you are with yours when it arrives!

Grayghst

Pop_rivit thanks for the info I can't wait until it gets here. I ordered it yesterday and received the e-mail it shipped today. I am figuring I will have it Tuesday or Wednsday.

Here are the pics of the final product. This is after 8 hrs FTC. It was still hot.

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

That's a mighty fine looking brisket Grayghst!!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Grayghst

Thanks for compliments. I am hooked on Bradley now. I have used smoker/grills before and it was a pain keeping the temp constant with the logs, but Bradley is so much easier.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Grayghst on July 13, 2008, 01:12:32 PM
Thanks for compliments. I am hooked on Bradley now. I have used smoker/grills before and it was a pain keeping the temp constant with the logs, but Bradley is so much easier.

Welcome to the club...

Shhh... BBQ made easy!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!