Ranco temp controller

Started by CT Smoker, May 30, 2008, 07:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Sorry for the mistake and thx habs long time didnt see ya man.

West Coast Sausage Maker

A question for PID users  ???

Do you have to pre tune or program the PID before you use it?

and if so would you not have to reprogram it for different mass or sized objects in the smoker?

Once its been tuned or found its "algorithm" for a pork butt on a rainy cold windy day, would you have to reprogram it for say, 2 lb of ribs on a hot day?

I guess this makes 3 Questions.  :-[
soylent green is people

Toker

Sorry cant help you there only tested empty. :-X

Mr Walleye

Quote from: T B S on June 18, 2008, 05:18:55 PM
Do you have to pre tune or program the PID before you use it?

You do have to run the Auto Tune with a typical load or simulated load in the smoker. Although this is not a difficult process, it takes about a half hour to run.

and if so would you not have to reprogram it for different mass or sized objects in the smoker?

I suppose technically yes but in reality it makes very limited difference. I have mine Auto Tuned for 210 degrees and I have no problem maintaining temps for sausage at lower temps etc.

Once its been tuned or found its "algorithm" for a pork butt on a rainy cold windy day, would you have to reprogram it for say, 2 lb of ribs on a hot day?

No, or at least not with my experience. Having said that my Bradley is built into my heated garage so outside temps are regulated. I haven't heard of anybody else with any issues like this either.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Sausage Maker

Thanks for that Mr walleye.

Did you mount the probe to the box so it reads box temp? or is it hanging insider to read the air temp?

Thanks
soylent green is people

Mr Walleye

I have my TC mounted to a small bracket I built out of stainless steel. It is spaced away from the cabinet, at the rear of the cabinet. It allows the TC to read the air temp. It also allows for all the racks to be removed or rotate racks without having to move the TC.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Toker

Hey TBS
i need your secret please to autoshut down the smoker after the internal temp is reashed if you dont mind. I have the original bradley smoker not the digital.

BTW using it to cotroll the smoker temp really sucks its more like a on/off switch, it over and under heat can not maintain it at 1 degre F accuracity on heat mode. The swing is like 30 degrees (So if you have a trick to make it id like to know it pls.)Thats why im thinking to use it as a meat probe. The only thing i need to know is how to make the smoker shut down when the desired temp is reashed thx.

P.S. on the other hand its seems perfect to controll my fridge so i dont understand why it doesnt work for the smoker.