Brisket Weekend - 1st attempt (with photos)

Started by Vaison, July 03, 2008, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaison

With the help of the forum members, I have been successful with ribs.  I have wowed my friends and family with them on the last two occasions I made them.  My next smoking adventure will be with a brisket.  I tried a smaller trimmed flat when I first bought my BDS about 6 months ago.  While it tasted great, it was tough.  Upon further reading of this website, I found out that I didn't cook it long enough.  I intend to do 4 hours of smoke, and then 14+ hours in the oven.  That is, unless someone tells me that it isn't necessarily about length of time and it is more about reaching a certain internal temperature.  Please advise on that part before Saturday night!  But alas, here are the photos with some commentary...

I bought a 7lb. flat from Sam's Club. It has a fat cap on the flip side.

I intend to apply Iceman's Oink'r rub (thanks Iceman!) before sealing the brisket for 24 hours.

I haven't yet decided what smoke to use, but I have mesquite, hickory and apple available.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Just to show you how good of a sport my fiancee has been, she added a few things to her shower registry and I scored a really nice cutting board and a pretty decent set of J.A. Henckels knives. 

Tomorrow, I will begin the dry rub and look for suggestions about types of smoke to use.

westexasmoker

I think your right on with your plan, I would use mesquite if it were me (well heck thats all I have)  ;D  I too will be doing some briskets this weekend, store have them for 87 cents a pound!!  WooHoo!!  Good Luck, and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

love the smoke

Any way you can send me a few of them briskets for that money, just looked yesterday and they are $ 5.99/ pound  :(

LTS
LTS

Vaison

westexasmoker

I got an easy one for ya...............move to Texas!  I could try to ship some I'm not sure how except like overnight and frozen but if I could help ya'll get one with some weight to it I'll try...I'll be the brisket factory....but really I can look into it!...God knows they send everything else overnight.....I'm game?

C

West Coast Kansan

LTS, Viason, welcome,  Looking forward to the pictures as you get into the bradley.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I smoke/cook my brisket at 220°F until it reaches 185°F; other choose to smoke/cook at 250°F. Either is considered low & slow. The internal temperature is most important, and you will see ranges from 180°F up to 210°F; the higher end being for pulling. If this is your first brisket, take it out when it hits 190°F, that seem to be the temperature that most use. Also search the board on how to FTC. If you look towards the end of this article it will give you an explanation.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=449

But further searching on this board you may find other variations of FTC, such as using the microwave or preheated oven.

Of the flavors you have the hickory would work best. I'm not sure what flavor is in the 120 pack. If it is oak I would use that instead of the hickory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 04, 2008, 03:15:00 AM

Of the flavors you have the hickory would work best. I'm not sure what flavor is in the 120 pack. If it is oak I would use that instead of the hickory.

I think that westtexassmoker got to him - that 120 pack is Mesquite

Vaison

I certainly will FTC if it is done before guests arrive.  I am expecting it to be pretty close to a 14 hour cook after the initial 4 hour smoke.  I have used the house oven to FTC and I have also used a cooler when traveling to someone's house.  Both seem to work well.  The oven is easier for me since I just foil, towel and place it on a cookie sheet (just in case some of the juices manage to escape).  Besides, the oven is still pretty warm after leaving it open for a few minutes following the cook. 

So, hickory over mesquite and apple?  Yes, the 120 pack is mesquite.  I prefer it with the ribs - which I cook most often.

Vaison

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...I have a disposable foil pan for the oven.  Should I add anything to the pan with the brisket?  Do I need to cover it with foil?  Please advise.  Thanks!

Gizmo

I always add a little apple juice or jack daniels just to get it started.  AJ doesn't do anything in flavor but the JD does unless it gets sampled too much before eating.   ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Vaison

Okay, apple juice I have.  I use it when I make the foil boat for the ribs and spritzing it in the smoker.  I am still curious if I need to cover the brisket in the oven or just let it sit in the pan with the juice. 

Tonight's step was to give it the dry rub and put to bed for 24 hours.  Hey Iceman, this rub smells like it has a little kick!

FLBentRider

I would keep it covered. The goal is to keep as much moisture in the brisket as you can.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

I always cover mine.  Put the temp probe in before covering and turn off the oven when it reaches your desired IT.  You can leave it in the oven or put into a pre-warmed cooler for several hours.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

I give mine (matter of fact got a couple in the smoker as we speak) the 4 hour smoke, then into the oven in a pan with whatever liquid you want, but just a smidge, the juice from the brisket will give ya plenty of juice at 220 for the next 12-18 hours, then pull and FTC....side note save your juice from the pan to make some heavenly sauce......Oh yeah, use mesquite!!   ;D

C