Brisket Weekend - 1st attempt (with photos)

Started by Vaison, July 03, 2008, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaison

Well, I am at work and waiting to get home to start the smoke.  I think I just may do a mix of hickory and mesquite for 4 hours.  I already used a fork to poke a few holes through the fat cap.  I will then remove it from the BDS and put it in a covered foil pan - using a small amount of apple juice.  My target internal temp will be 190 and I will cook at 220.  I hope that I get to FTC prior to guests arriving, but if it isn't finished until then, so be it.  I intend on leaving the fat cap on during the overnight cook and removing it prior to slicing.  If it doesn't just slide off, then I will leave it on and trim anything that is excessive.  I hope there is no need to have to do this part.  Photos of it going in the BDS will be posted tonight when I get home.  My financee thinks I am nuts for taking these photos for you guys.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Vaison on July 05, 2008, 08:32:53 AM
My financee thinks I am nuts for taking these photos for you guys.

:D  :D  ;D

I hear ya Vaison! My wife thinks I'm nuts too!

Oh well. What's great about it is how everyone on the forum can learn from everybody else's successes and... well, not so successful smokes.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to some awesome lookin' pictures!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Crazy for photos is kind of a wide spread sickness round here.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

I remember getting "the look" the first time I wanted to "document" my process.

After the first taste, no more "look"

:o
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

My husband shakes his head & then moves quickly to the next room  ;D   He knows better than to actually comment.

westexasmoker

Yep I know the feeling, my wife and kids are like why are you taking pictures of the food!  Simple answer because I can!   ;D  Looking forward to more, looks great!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Vaison

The BDS is loaded with a few pucks of mesquite used on my last cook and the rest is hickory.  The brisket is unwrapped, on a nicely cleaned rack (thanks Natalie) and ready to go in.

Here she is just before I shut the door for 4 hours of smoke.

Mr Walleye

Ahhhh.... That's a thing of beauty Vaison!  ;)

I see a fine meal in your future!

Mike

Vaison

I checked on the water at the 2 hour mark and took a photo while I had the door open.  Everything inside is looking good!

However, I noticed this toward the end of the previous time using the BDS.  I am getting a slow leak out of one side.  Is this normal?  I don't think it is the water from the bowl. 

Mr Walleye

Vaison

Do you have your vent open about 1/2 way?

Mike

Vaison

It is just cracked a little.  I will go open it some more.

Smokin Soon

Funny you should mention the wifes's opinion on submitting photos. Mine thinks it's totally weird! I told her that Fisherman will want a pic of there prize, as well as hunters. A successfull smoke is the same right????? Just say right so I can show her!

westexasmoker

Right....if you used mesquite.....Right!!  ;D

C

Vaison

Smoking complete.  Here it is just before covering with foil and putting in the thermometer.  See you tomorrow afternoon!

westexasmoker

Looks great Vaison, your gonna have some good eats there....I gotta throw mine in, nothing better than a good brisket!....Mesquite!!   ;D

C