Fatties

Started by bigcatdaddy, July 04, 2008, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

Well, I'm getting ready to try my first fatty.  I've read a few post on them with some pics and they look great.  From what I've read  it looks like you can put whatever you want in them and just let'em go.  I was wondering about cabinet temps and IT.  I plan on a long weekend of smoking.  Doing some ABT's, Crab Stuffed Mushrooms along with some Pork Tenderloins and maybe a Chicken or 2.  Any help on the fatty temps would be greatly appreciated.  I get some pics so everyone can enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks in advance.
BCD

KyNola

Welcome to the forum,
The King of Fattys is NePas.  He generally smokes them for an hour at 190 and then continue the heat at 225 until the internal temp is 160.

Have a great smoking weekend and let us know the results,

KyNola

Smoking Duck

KY is spot-on.  Nepas is thr Fatty King.  Be sure to use something like powdered milk to prevent shrinkage.  Good luck!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

iceman

Quote from: KyNola on July 04, 2008, 08:01:05 AM
Welcome to the forum,
The King of Fattys is NePas.  He generally smokes them for an hour at 190 and then continue the heat at 225 until the internal temp is 160.

Have a great smoking weekend and let us know the results,

KyNola

All hail the King!!!  ;D He does know his Fatty's and then some!  ;) Nepas is man in the Fatty circuit. Got me hooked on them.  :P

bigcatdaddy

Ut Oh!!!  Powdered Milk?????

KyNola

CatDaddy,
Powdered milk is not a necessity but can be used as the Duckster said to avoid some shrinkage.  I personally have never used it when I make fatties.  If you don't have it, don't sweat it.

Have a great time,
KyNola

Smoking Duck

Sorry, BCD.  KY is correct.......not necessary, but it does help with shrinkage.  I've done them both ways and like the powdered milk's effect on the fatties but PM is certainly not necessary.

Didn't mean to freak you out  :D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

bigcatdaddy

SD,

Had me shakin fer a second.  Thought I missed something somewhere.  I never knew that about the PM.  Nothing wrong with getting help in the shrinkage area. ;)

BCD

pensrock

Buck36, I don't think powdered milk will help with that kind of shrinkage.  ;D ;D ;D

HCT

:D :D :D :D :D Buck, I just saw that rerun a couple of weeks ago.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

West Coast Kansan

Too cool,  LOL  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

bigcatdaddy

[img][/img]

Filling it full of good stuff: Crab,Smoked onions,Garlic,Cream Cheese and Shreded Colby and Jack Cheese!
[img][/img]

Rolled and ready to smoke.
[img][/img]

FLBentRider

Looks good bigcatdaddy!

Llet us know how it turns out!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigcatdaddy

The finished product.  Should have done more.  The first one was gone as fast as I could slice it!!!
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]