Fatties

Started by bigcatdaddy, July 04, 2008, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

I had Cheese leak out of one pretty good.  Does anyone know if that is normal or did I do something wrong?

deb415611

Awesome looking bigcatdaddy!

KyNola

I don't think it is possible to do anything wrong to a fatty.  Looks awfully good to me but if you're concerned, feel free to make some more and ship them to me and I will be happy to give you my personal verdict. :D

KyNola

Junk Yard Dog

Sorry to be so clueless, but I've done a search on this forum and the internet, and I can't find out what it is.  Could somebody give me a definition and, hopefully, a recipe?

Thanks.

Gary in Texas

FLBentRider

Try the "Search" button on the left navbar - between "help" and "profile".

Here are 2 links to recipes :
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6801.0
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7182.0

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Junk Yard Dog

Thanks.  Looks great !

Gary in Texas

KyNola

Hey JYD,
The King of the Fatties is NePaSmoker.  He can hook you up!  He is a wealth of information.

KyNola

iceman

Dang that looks good bigcatdaddy!!!  :P :)

NePaSmoKer

Ahhhhh ya'll are givin me a big fattie head and my wife is sayin i am breakin my arm pattin myself on the back  ;D

And those look good bigcatdaddy  ;D

nepas

bigcatdaddy

The second one is no longer.  It went down as good as the first.  I think maybe a breakfast one or two are in order the next round!!!

rcger

Quote from: Smoking Duck on July 04, 2008, 01:59:06 PM
Sorry, BCD.  KY is correct.......not necessary, but it does help with shrinkage.  I've done them both ways and like the powdered milk's effect on the fatties but PM is certainly not necessary.

Didn't mean to freak you out  :D

SD

How exactly do you use the powered milk?  Do you mix it with the ground meat or do you just sprinkle it on top?  What quantity do you use per pound of meat?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Smoking Duck

I mix it in with the ground meat.  It's more of a feel thing than an actual quantity.  I always start with just a little and keep going until I get the consistency I'm looking for.

Nepas can probably give you a more quantitative amount, but if I remember correctly, I used about 1/2 cup to 1 cup for the 5 lbs I did last time I made them.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

I think SD has it. A lot of sausage recipes call for up to 1 cup of powdered skim milk per 5 lbs. I would think it wouldn't be any different for fatties. You just mix it right into the meat. It helps bind the meat together and also helps retain it's natural juices.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 07, 2008, 06:38:00 PM
I think SD has it. A lot of sausage recipes call for up to 1 cup of powdered skim milk per 5 lbs. I would think it wouldn't be any different for fatties. You just mix it right into the meat. It helps bind the meat together and also helps retain it's natural juices.

Mike

Also if you mix the powdered milk with a bit of low sodium beef broth first then mix it in the meat it will keep that moisture in the fatty too.  ;)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: iceman on July 09, 2008, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 07, 2008, 06:38:00 PM

Mike

Also if you mix the powdered milk with a bit of low sodium beef broth first then mix it in the meat it will keep that moisture in the fatty too.  ;)

Good tip Ice

I have used with a cup or two water before but I've never used beef broth before. I will have to give that a shot.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes