New Bradley Original-Turkey Question

Started by pop_rivit, July 02, 2008, 07:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pop_rivit on July 02, 2008, 02:43:30 PM
Should water be used in the bowl?

I "seasoned" my new smoker per the instructions putting water in the bowl.  Should water usually be put in the bowl when smoking or should it be left dry?  I see some posts where it sounds like water was used, and others that sound like it wasn't.

Thanks!

Those posts where you see that water is not used in the bowl, it generally for those who are making jerky, and occassionally you will see this in posts for sausage. The cabinet temperatures are kept low, the "cooking" time is short and only 1:40 to 2:00 hours of smoke is applied.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pop_rivit

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 03, 2008, 02:46:14 AM
Quote from: pop_rivit on July 02, 2008, 02:43:30 PM
Should water be used in the bowl?

I "seasoned" my new smoker per the instructions putting water in the bowl.  Should water usually be put in the bowl when smoking or should it be left dry?  I see some posts where it sounds like water was used, and others that sound like it wasn't.

Thanks!

Those posts where you see that water is not used in the bowl, it generally for those who are making jerky, and occassionally you will see this in posts for sausage. The cabinet temperatures are kept low, the "cooking" time is short and only 1:40 to 2:00 hours of smoke is applied.

Ah...now I understand better.  I appreciate the advice and can't wait to try the turkey tomorrow!

pop_rivit

My first smoked turkey was a huge success.  We had a group of about 9 people here for lunch today.  There were left over hot dogs.  There were left over burgers.  There were left over chips. 

There was no left over turkey.

Everyone said how good the turkey was.  It had a nice smokey flavor, it was moist and tender.  The interesting part was although it was tender, it was also firm.  You could cut it with a fork.

My wife, who was skeptical about the smoker, has already written down a list of smoker to-do's.  They include ribs, salmon and turkey.

I used the brine suggested by FLBentRider.  For a rub I used a commercial product called "Cookies" seasoning.  Cookies also makes good bbq sauce.

I put the turkey on at 6:30 this morning.  At first I had a little trouble getting the temperature stablized, but once I did it was hands off.  I checked the temperature at 11:45 and it was between 165 and 170.  Perfect.

I then used the FTC method for an hour until everyone arrived.  You should have seen the faces when I opened the cooler and unwrapped the turkey.  It was still steamy hot and the smoked turkey smell filled the kitchen. 

Tomorrow morning it's off to the store for some ribs and another turkey or two.

Thanks for everyones help this first time through!

FLBentRider

Great job pop_rivit!!

Quote from: pop_rivit on July 04, 2008, 02:43:04 PM
My wife, who was skeptical about the smoker, has already written down a list of smoker to-do's.  They include ribs, salmon and turkey.

That's the real success....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Congrats on your Turkey success pop_rivit!