Brisket Weekend - 1st attempt (with photos)

Started by Vaison, July 03, 2008, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaison

Perhaps my thermometer is touching the bottom of the pan, but it is reading 180 already and it has only been in the oven for about 45 mins.  I didn't expect it to get that close to 190 until hours into the cook.  I am just using a standard house probe.  I have a digital Weber thermometer still in the box that I got with points on my credit card.  I just may break it out to give it a try.

West Coast Kansan

Greetings,  Yes, a little soon for that temperature.  Did you add some apple juice to the bottom of the foil pan.  Moisture in a well sealed boat with help with the cooking process. 

As Mr Walleye indicated the vent being closed too far will contribute to the condensation build up... Keep the vent open a touch more than necessary to ensure there is no smoke backing out the crack between the smoke generator and where it hangs on the tower.  You wont be wasting smoke  -  there is plenty. You do not want the smoke and moisture backing up into the generator...that is a bad thing   ;)

That brisket looks like it will be a really good one.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Vaison

Well, I removed the thermometer and will take it out of the oven to check temp.  I thought I could just leave it in the whole time and get an accurate reading.  After 2 hours, I checked the new temp (taken out of the oven) and it is 160.  I put a little bit of juice in the bottom to get things started as I was told that plenty of juice will form from the brisket as it cooks.  Everything is a-okay so far.  Time for bed. 

Vaison

After 4 hours in the smoker at 220, then another 13 hours in the oven at 220, the brisket reached an internal temperature of 190.  I took it out, snapped a photo, FTC and placed it back in the still warm oven.  Guests arrive in 3 hours.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Mr Walleye

I'm drooling just lookin' at it!  8)

Let us know how things turn out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Looking good Vaison.  Mike really hooked you up on the vent issue.  You need the vent adequately open to keep the condensation from forming as the meat cooks and the water in the pan evaporates.  That's what is on your floor, and you also need it open so the smoke does not back up into the generator.  That is a really really bad thing and will ultimately over time destroy the generator.  I run my vent pretty much halfway open all the time unless I'm doing poultry and then it's open pretty much all the way as poultry holds a lot of moisture.

I'll bet that brisket is a killer!  Congrats.

KyNola

Vaison

I had a house full of guests and was also running a grill full of hot dogs and hamburgers, BUT I managed to snap a photo of the final product during slicing.  I put it on the serving table, offered Iceman's sauce on the side and it was very VERY well received.  It was my first taste of it and I am blown away.  I don't think this could have come out any more perfectly.  Thank you to everyone who assisted with my first brisket.  It was a total success.  I cannot wait do another.  Oh yeah, somehow one pound or so of the brisket never made it to the table and was wrapped in foil inside of my fridge.   :P

Smoking Duck

Well done, Vaison.  You're officially hooked. Welcome to the club.  Smoking is very addictive.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

That would be a thing of beauty...Congrats V.....Time to start thinking about another smoke!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Atta boy Vaison!

Ya did us proud!  ;)

Congrats on getting a successful one under your belt!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Vaison on July 06, 2008, 04:32:21 PM
Oh yeah, somehow one pound or so of the brisket never made it to the table and was wrapped in foil inside of my fridge.

Those are the classified aspects of smoking that we do not share.  :D

I think O or NePa has the classification guide for this topic.  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Vaison, now ya done it... very good looking piece.   :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

KyNola

Really nice V,
I know you are still grinning over that one. ;D

KyNola