Fish too moist, what to do?

Started by SturgeonLake, September 25, 2008, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SturgeonLake

I just finished my first batch of Lake Trout using Bouch's recipe (with Hab's modifications on cooking times.) I took the fish up to 140 internal temp and removed from smoker (10lbs took 4hrs, cold smoking with an Auber PID.)

So I tried a piece, and it tastes great, but the meat is too moist for my liking. I did it with the skin on and am thinking it just had too much oil in it.

My question now is what to do? I did try putting it back in until it got the internal temperature up to 145, but that didn't really make a big difference.

I have a second batch of 10lbs in right now.

I am thinking that I would remove the skin from the first batch and put it back in when this second batch is done, just to see if it can dry it out a little. Perhaps an hour at 140??

Suggestions?

westexasmoker

All the fish I've done, besides Kummoks salmon, I finish on the grill.  Removing the skin and popped back in for a bit might help, but I'd keep a close eye on it would go from moist to dry quickly or at least that would be my luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

SturgeonLake

I've skinned the first batch and then gave it a coating of maple syrup. It wasn't sweet enough for me anyway. I put it back in at 140 for 1 hour. Guess we'll see.

SturgeonLake

Well, I took that 1st batch (2nd cook) up to 148 internal temp. It definitely didn't dry out, but it still ended up a little moister than I'd prefer. The 2nd batch came out (IT = 145) and, for whatever reason, was dryer than the 1st batch?? I stripped it of skin.

I put both patches into a storage container with a layer of paper towels between layers and then placed a dinner plate on top for a little weight. I'm leaving this out overnight to cool, and then will refridgerate/freeze in the morning.

Any suggestions what to do next time would be appreciated. I'd rather not have to finish on the grill if I can avoid it. I know Kummock says he is now smoking skinless, perhaps if I'd done that it would have turned out better but I did want to try and keep as much of the Omega oils as possible.

Anyone ever tried cutting the bellies off, cooking them separately slowly to release the oils, and then incorporating that oil into the brine? Would that work to get the Omega goodness?

westexasmoker

Hey SL,

Me again, and once again not much help!   ;D  The only trout I get down here is rainbow and usually a quick smoke then grilled or a quick pan fry (and I do me quick) or smoke a whole with the head on...the wife loves that one (really) stuffed with peppers and onions...And I'm weird (Duh) I like the skin on and crisped up like chicken and thats good stuff!  I have to ask whats a Laketrout?  Bound to be different than a rainbow?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

SturgeonLake

Well, I'm probably not the best to describe the difference, but Lake Trout are usually much larger than Rainbow, and their flesh is, I think, much whiter. The fillets are thicker too.

I'm in pursuit of a batch of smoked Lake Trout that was based on a 25lb Laker I caught 10+ years ago. The guy who had me on his boat took my trout and gave me, 3hrs later, 25lbs of smoked Lake Trout (my fish went into his cache, and he gave me stuff he had already smoked.)

Basically, rainbow is (I believe) typically red, thin, and short. Lake Trout is typically white, thicker, and longer. No doubt there are more technical differences...;-]

Habanero Smoker

My modifications were for rainbow trout. The kind of trout you are smoking, is similiar to what Botch smoked. Botch keep the smoker at 135°F for the full smoking/cooking time, his cooking/smoking time takes about 6-7 hours because he liked his fish moist. I like my smoked trout firm, and for thin fillets 140°F was just right.

You don't want to put this trout on the grill, it will not be the same, if you can't get the proper texture from the smoker, then I would use the oven on a low setting and cook it uncovered. If it is coming out too moist for your taste then don't go by internal temperature, just keep it in the smoker until you achieve the texture you want. I would check the texture by using a fork to spread the fish apart at the thickest point. Since you will be keeping it in the smoker longer, you may want to consider lowering the final temperature stage to 160°F. The lower cabinet temperature will further lengthen you cooking time, but I belive you will have better contro. Using Botch's recipe you don't have to worry about this fish drying out too much, but I would monitor it.

The ones that still have skin I would leave the skin on. As the fish dries out, the flavors are more concentrated, so when you get the fish firm you will notice a remarkable difference in taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

WTS this is a Lake Trout. A 28 incher I caught in Lake Michigan.

SturgeonLake

Let me do some looking I cant find it right now but I have a recipe that I used to smoke my Laker here is the finished pic of it. I was dry but still moist if that makes any sense. The moisture you see in the pic was syrup that I put on during the last 1/2 hour of smoking. Had a couple to many barley pops that day and grabbed the butter flavored syrup instead of the Maple.  IT WAS DARK IN THE PANTRY!!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Buck36

Tenpoint5,

Great pics and I hope you can find that recipe. That fish looks incredible!

Tenpoint5

Ok I finally had the time to look for it and found the recipe that I used for the Lake Trout. It is noway scientific and I will probably be cursed by the fish guru's. But a little ol man who has been doing his fish like this for 50 yrs gave me the recipe. After I bribed him with some ABT's and Pulled Pork.

Fish Brine
Equal parts water and wine about ½ - ¾ bottle of wine
Blackberry Merlot is my wine of choice for this
1 to 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Enough Kosher salt to float an egg (Test egg in water to ensure that it sinks beforehand)

Mix until all is dissolved. Soak fish 8-12 hours. Overnight.

Remove from brine let set until dry and tacky put crust of brown Sugar on and put in smoker at 225 for 6-8hours smoke on for 5.  After smoke is done drizzle PURE Maple syrup over fish for last 1-2 hours. (Optional)

Use a fruit wood but I prefer Hickory.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest making foil boats and placing them under the edges of the fish to catch the dripping Brown Sugar on the next tray down. It DOES NOT like to come off the V pan after it has been cooked on there. Trust me a lot of scraping, scrubbing and cussing that day.

Also if you want let me know I was looking at my photobucket album and I have a pictorial of this whole process in there.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

josbocc

WTS,

Lake Trout are a "fish of a different fin" up here.  We do have them in Northern NY (Lake Champlain), and I have had the opportunity to fish for them in the past.  In the springtime, it's like dragging an old tire up from bottom of the Lake.

Knowing what I have learned here, I would not be opposed to trying a good brine, then throwing them in the Bradley for a few hours.  I think that they might just turn out alright.

Aside from that option..., here's the best recipe that I've ever gotten for Lake Trout.  It was given to me from a now-retired coworker, who was also a Master Sergeant in the Army.

Take one whole Lake Trout..., gut it and then split in two at the backbone.  Rub generously with melted butter, garlic, and lemon. 

Obtain one brand new pine board slightly larger than the two pieces of Lake Trout.  Pre-heat oven to 350, place trout on board, and cook at 350 for approx. 45 minutes.

At 45 minutes, remove from oven, discard fish, and eat pine board.  M' M' good.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

manxman

QuoteAt 45 minutes, remove from oven, discard fish, and eat pine board.

:D :D :D
Manxman

Mr Walleye

Josbocc

Here in Canada there are lots of lake trout. We take a trip each year into Northern Manitoba for a week and we get lots there. I don't get your comment that it's like dragging an old tire up because around here they literally fight till they are almost dead. They are a very powerful fish. Most of them we get are 12 to 15 lbs but they can range right up to 40 lbs. It's not uncommon in the spring to catch them on shallow reefs, as soon as they hit you have to hang on because they are "gone", usually down to 50 to a 100 feet of water and they will take a few of these runs before you get them to the boat.

They are very good smoked. I haven't done them myself but I have had them on a number of occasions. A friend of mine brines them and smokes them whole and they are not just good but fantastic. I'm going to have to get his recipe sometime.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 04, 2008, 07:11:01 AM
Josbocc

Here in Canada there are lots of lake trout. We take a trip each year into Northern Manitoba for a week and we get lots there. I don't get your comment that it's like dragging an old tire up because around here they literally fight till they are almost dead. They are a very powerful fish. Most of them we get are 12 to 15 lbs but they can range right up to 40 lbs. It's not uncommon in the spring to catch them on shallow reefs, as soon as they hit you have to hang on because they are "gone", usually down to 50 to a 100 feet of water and they will take a few of these runs before you get them to the boat.

They are very good smoked. I haven't done them myself but I have had them on a number of occasions. A friend of mine brines them and smokes them whole and they are not just good but fantastic.

Mike

Mike

I haven't done any of them whole but the fillets work out pretty good for me. I have to admit the one I have posted the pic of he was like dragging a tire up. No fight at all. But then we was only in 38 foot of water.

Mr Walleye

I don't know but I would think it may have something to do with water temp. The areas we fish them are in the northern parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, right in the shield, very pristine. The water temps are very cold most of the year. We usually go up around the 1st of June and a number of the lakes will still have ice on them... but the fishin' is always good.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes