Basque Chorizo???

Started by stillsmoking, July 06, 2008, 08:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Hello all, looking for a recipe this morning.  I grew up in the Boise, Idaho area and love the great Basque chorizo sausage made there.  I have tried many recipes at home trying to duplicate but just don't have it yet.  Most of the chorizo recipes I come across are for Mexican chorizo, good too but not what I am after.  The chorizo's I like are made by Gem meat packing in Boise although I am sure there are many others just as good.  Appreciate any help or tips you all may have.

Bad Flynch

A recipe for one of the European incarnations (e.g., Portugese/Brazilian or Spanish) should do. they are usually less fatty and don't have as much heat. I don't eat the stuff, so I can't give you a real recommendation for a tried recipe.
B.F.

speltman

The Chorizos from Gems Meat Packing are my favorite too. I have not been able to duplicate them either. Maybe Stickbowcrafter has a good Basque chorizo recipe.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Your question is a difficult one to answer, because a recipe may be called Basque chorizo, but it will be rare that you find two recipes a like. I have made Basque chorizo, I had to check to make sure that it was considered Basque. If you have Bruce Aidell's "Complete Sausage Book", he has a Basque chorizo recipe listed. In the first edition it was listed as Spanish Basque Chorizo, now it is listed as Chorizo. I will post it if you like.

I rarely make chorizo now, and have changed over to Chaurice.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=690#post690

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stillsmoking

Sure would appreciate the chorizo recipe if it isn't too much trouble Habs.  The Chaurice look interesting too.  Grew up with that good Chorizo and can't get it anywhere else.

Habanero Smoker

I did look at the book again, and found it is still listed as Basque Chorizo, and it is not the recipe that I used. I used his other Chorizo recipe. It does look good, and I will post it this afternoon. If you get the opportunity you should buy his book. He uses less salt then most sausage recipes, and since getting his book I have slightly reduced the salt in some of my other recipes with good results.

The book has a wide variety of sausages, and a large section of recipes for using the sausages. The only con with this book, if you want to consider it as a con, is that the recipes are measured in very small batches; often 2.5 - 3 pounds. But you can easily adjust the recipes for larger amount. It was this book that I first learned about Chaurice and after a few batches made some adjustment for my particular taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

stillsmoking

Much appreciation Habs, I will look for that book.  I am slowly building my library and that sounds like a good one.  I have some dietary restrictions, less salt is good.  I have been routinely cutting the salt by as much as half in some recipes for years, I have a refrigerator and freezer not sure I need all the salt.

Habanero Smoker

I ran behind schedule today, so I'll get it posted later today, or first thing in the morning.

It didn't take as long as I thought it would. Here you go!

This is a very mild sausage.

Basque Chorizo
Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
1/2 lbs. beef plate or fatty chuck (you could also use skirt of flank steak)
1/2 Cup sweet Spanish or Hungarian paprika
*1/4 Cup dried New Mexico (Anhiem) chile puree
1/4 Cup minced garlic
3 Tbsp dry red wine
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Pinch of ground cloves
++1 tsp pink salt dissolved in ΒΌ cup water (optional)
prepared medium hog casings (if you are going to stuff).

Directions:
Grind pork and beef through a 3/8" plate.

In large bowl combine ground meat with paprika, chile puree, garlic wine, salt, sugar, black pepper, and cloves. (I generally will mix the meat with the spices prior to grinding).
++Add curing salt if you are planning to smoke.

Mix well, kneading the meat and spices until everything is thoroughly mixed. (I like to refrigerate the mixture overnight to allow the spices and pink salt distribute more evenly).

If stuffing your can form into rings, or 10 inch lengths, or 6 inch lengths.

*Chile Puree:
In a small bowl, soak two dried New Mexico chiles in enough boiling water to cover them; for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve water. Remove stems and seeds and puree the chiles in a food processor, adding a teaspoon of the reserved soaking water.

Basic Smoking Directions:
++NOTE: If you are going to smoke the sausage by these instructions, you needed to have added the pink salt. Just take note that the added pink salt does alter the flavor. If you did not add the pink salt, your only smoking option is to smoke/cook at 225 degrees F or above (with no drying period) until the sausage has reached an internal temperature of 150 degrees F.

Prior to applying smoke, you need to air dry the sausage. You can do this either by air drying uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, or placing them on a kitchen counter in front of a fan until the casings are dry, or placing them in a preheated 110-120 degree F smoker with the vent wide open for about an hour until the sausage is dry to the touch.

You can either arrange the sausage on the racks, or hang from dowels that have been cut to fit the smoker.

After sausage has dried, close the vent to 1/4 open, and increase the heat to 130-140 degrees F, and apply 2-3 hours of smoke.

If you had dried your sausage in the smoker, rotate the racks for top to bottom, and front to back; before applying smoke. If they are hanging by dowels rotate from front to back. I prefer to lay them on racks, for easier rotating. I used pecan for Cajun or Creole types of sausages for the smoke flavor, but maple, apple or hickory can be used.

After smoke has been applied, rotate sausage again. Raise the cabinet temperature to 170-180 degrees F, and continue to smoke until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F.

Remove sausage from smoker, and immediately shock in an ice water bath until the sausage has cooled, and to stop the cooking process.

Remove sausage from bath; air dry, or pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

stillsmoking

Thanks Habs!  Great looking recipe.  This is different from anything I have found to this point and just maybe on the right track.  I have been playing with the pork/beef mixture for a while but the chile puree might just do the trick.  Boy sure want to mix up some sausage but will probably have to wait until at least the weekend.  If this is the stuff you will have my eternal, undying gratitude, sure miss that chorizo!  Thanks also for the tip on the book, I will look for it.  I have three or four books I have used, the one I have used most often is Sausage by A.D. Livingston.  Other than that we raised our own animals when I was growing up and my dad liked to experiment.  Guess that's where I got started.

Habanero Smoker

There sure is a wide variety of Basque Chorizo recipes, but I feel you can never go wrong with starting out with Bruce Aidells recipes; then making adjustments (if any are necessary).

I forgot to ask if the chorizo you liked was fresh, dry cure, or smoked/cooked. The way it was prepared will also make a huge difference in the flavor. The dry cured versions have a much more concentrated flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Thanks Habs, I knew you'd come up with the recipe. I really appreciate your world of information. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

stillsmoking

Morning Habs, so far in my chorizo experimentation I have used fresh or smoked/frozen product.  Have only used in bulk, haven't got around to using casings yet, I have the equipment and even some casings just haven't taken the plunge yet.  Good point you make on the dry curing and I may have to go that route to get what I want.

You are also sure right on the variety of chorizo, I have run across several but am just not getting the flavor I am after.  Most recipes have called for vinegar, your's doesn't, has me excited.  We have enjoyed all that we made, sandwiches, spaghetti sauce or chorizo gravy gives those biscuits a little zing on Sunday morning.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Habanero Smoker

Good! Then this recipe should be close. Chorizo is generally  used fresh (not smoke), and is often sold just ground, without the casings. You could use vinegar instead of wine, but when I am making a recipe for the first time I generally stick with the ingredients, then make adjustment in later batches.

What ever recipe you decide on please let us know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

stillsmoking

Habs, got this recipe from you some months back and finally got the chance to mix it all up.  Looks and smells great!  Will be having a sample for lunch today and will let you know how it turned out.  This sure smells like what I have been looking for.

stillsmoking

Fried up a couple of patties for lunch.  Mild, sweet, very nice.  I made a double batch and am certain it will go quick.  Almost no grease when cooking.  Will probably spice it up a bit next time.  Little hotter chilies maybe.  Thanks for the recipe Habs, this one is a keeper.