FLBentRider

1 Standing Rib Roast
4 Cloves Galic
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Lawry's Seasoned Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Pre-heat oven to 250 Degrees
Slice Garlic into slivers, with a sharp knife, make cuts in outside of roast, insert Garlic.
Season outside of roast with remaining ingredients.

Place Roast into a roasting pan. Place in oven, uncovered, until desired internal temperature is reached. For Us, it was 130. This took about 5 hours.
Remove from oven, cover with foil, let rest for 30 minutes.
Slice, Serve.

** We made this today. We usually use a higher temperature, but after finding out that the commercial places use temps as low as 180 for many hours, We decided to try the whole roast low and slow. This was the juiciest rib roast we have had in a long time. We are going to back it down to 200 for the next one.

***you could optionally add smoke by cold-smoking for 1 to 3 pucks beforehand. I usually use pecan for rib roasts.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

The cold smoke and wrap tight in plastic overnite in fridge is a forum tip that works well.  Really helps provide the smoked flavor without the meat cooking too quickly. 

ChezBubba and the O have posted about using onion soup mix as a rub - this has given me very good results.  What I always use now.

Last thieving hint that occurs to me is from Oldman who uses very hot onion soup or a broth to dip the PR into, for serving those who cant go the red meat color.  Just a few seconds seems to do it. This last tip has served me very well with my wife who believes in beef being cooked to gray.  We will usually cook to a higher IT than most here but I just cant do that to a PR.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

MORE GARLIC!!! Sounds amazing...yum...and I don't eat that much beef....so Bravo FLBent...I'm drooling!!! :)

Consiglieri

Yep, the au jus dip trick serves medium-rare to medium meat at a color more suiting to medium well to well.  Great comments about the meat from those (who think think they're) eating medium-well to well done meat. 

As for the onion soup mix, I like that trick too, but add a lot of garlic, some rosemary, some fresh ground black pepper, and some olive oil, all in the food processer to make a paste.  Massage all over the roast and tie the bones back on.  Works out nicely. 

Anyone ever rotisserie a rib roast?  I've cooked them on the grill with indirect heat, but I'm curious about results rotisserie wise. 
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

Rotisserie a Rib Roast - sounds _so_ FlintStones!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

I don't know if my Rotisserie could handle a big one, but I'm willing to try.  I'll have to look over the manual for weight/size limits. 

All I need is a few Cactus Coolers to go with it. 
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Consigs...you drink those things??

Consiglieri

Quote from: La Quinta on July 07, 2008, 05:26:59 PM
Consigs...you drink those things??

Is there really a product called Cactus Coolers?  In the show, they were Fred Flintstone's drink of choice to accompany his 1" thick Brontasaurus steaks.  Looked like he cooked them on a Weber. 
Consiglieri

HCT

FBL, how did the outer crust come out? Crisp or not?
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

There was a nice crust.

I did use the probe - convection option on our oven - it's pretty slick - you set the desired meat temp, set the oven temp, plug in the probe - and it beeps when it reaches they target IT. It then switches to a "keep warm" mode.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

I rotorize PR on the grill all the time. I just use the back burner to keep the heat right at 200F and let it self baste as it's turning. Wonderful crust and flavor. I stud it with tons of garlic and do the Lipton mix. Hard to beat.  :P

Consiglieri

Quote from: iceman on July 11, 2008, 03:03:38 PM
I rotorize PR on the grill all the time. I just use the back burner to keep the heat right at 200F and let it self baste as it's turning. Wonderful crust and flavor. I stud it with tons of garlic and do the Lipton mix. Hard to beat.  :P

That's great to learn.  Thanks for sharing your experience, especially with someone in my profession.   ;)
Consiglieri

La Quinta

WOW..."rotorize"...nice Ice...and yes Consigs...Cactus Coolers are quite refreshing...ONCE!!!! :)