What are the most used types of wood?

Started by Andy, December 10, 2004, 02:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I am thinking of ordering 4 or 5 120's of wood...

I definitely want hickory, maple and apple.  Any others?

BigSmoker

Oak is a nice change for beef.
I have found and of course this is what I like but 2:1 apple pecan split is my favorite on just about anything[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

MallardWacker

<u><b>Don't even think of</b></u> <b><font color="red">Mesquite</font id="red"></b> "<b><u><font color="red"><font size="2">THE DEVILS WOOD</font id="size2"></font id="red"></u></b>[}:)]"

Unless you just love the perverbial burnt offering taste of <b><i><font size="2"><font color="green">cow pucks</font id="green"></font id="size2"></i></b>[xx(].

<b><u><font color="blue"><font size="2">All kidding a side[;)]</font id="size2"></font id="blue"></u></b>, the way the BS creates it's smoke makes this wood extremly woody and powerful.  I am not saying that Mesquite is a bad wood but if (like me) you are thinking it's like lump mesquite charcoal or burning mesquite in a offset you will be disapointed[:(!].  Try a small box first would be my sugestion.

<u><font color="limegreen">My favorite[:)] woods are:[/</font id="limegreen"></u>b] Maple, Pecan (good for pork[:p]), and Apple.  I'm sure Olds will chime in about Oak at anytime, that is a good choice also.  If you stick with these I am very sure you won't have any complaints[:)] in your results.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Ya Oak is a goodie for sure. It is a good all around wood. Now last Sunday I "cold smoked" (sic--as if there is such a thing here in Florida, we running the A/C as it is now!) a ham in pecan--T-shirt method of course. It has been wrapped in plastic since then and I will bake it tomarrow.  From what little liquid that has escaped the plastic that I've tasted, I can say I at this point that Duck Man is correct about pecan for pork...at least on a ready to bake ham...

So with that all said and done the only thing I have to say now is it is PARTEE TIME

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Andy,

I'd add oak & pecan to your list.

You kindled an inquisitive spirit in me & I decided to do a little research. Although incomplete, here are the percentages of bisquettes we've sold so far this year. Your mileage may vary.[:D]

Alder--5.5%
Apple--9.4%
Cherry--5.5%
Hickory--23.2%
Maple--10.1%
Mesquite--8.2%
Oak--7.3%
Pecan--9.1%
Special Blend--3.4%
60 Assorted--14.9%
Bubba 48--3.4%

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Sauce Bauce

On my old offset Bandera I have used Cherry wood a lot and really like the flavor.  I have a neighbor who is a woodturner and he gets lots of fruit woods he can't use.  We just cut them up into good sized chunks and I use them to smoke with.  Sure will miss that when I convert to the Bradley.

JJC

I wouldn't disagree with anything the august members of this Forum have already said, but I think alder should get some consideration.  It's a very "neutral" wood, so it can be used for anything.  I think it's particularly good for shellfish and other seafood.  That being said, I now use more apple and oak than anything else, and pecan is moving up rapidly on my list.  

I would suggest getting a Bubba Pack so you can have some small quantities of several woods.  That way you can experiment--you never know what will strike your fancy!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sauce Bauce</i>
<br />On my old offset Bandera I have used Cherry wood a lot and really like the flavor.  I have a neighbor who is a woodturner and he gets lots of fruit woods he can't use.  We just cut them up into good sized chunks and I use them to smoke with.  Sure will miss that when I convert to the Bradley.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nothing wrong with the cherry pucks.  I had a pack of them that I used on some bologna.  The smoke flavor was fine.  I have also used cherry on chicken.  I found it turned the skin a nice mahogany color and gives the meat that sweet with a hint of tart flavor.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Nothing wrong with the cherry pucks.  I had a pack of them that I used on some bologna.  The smoke flavor was fine.  I have also used cherry on chicken.  I found it turned the skin a nice mahogany color and gives the meat that sweet with a hint of tart flavor.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jeff is right that it gives a great color and tart taste to meat.  However, I once did a salmon and a turkey (separately, of course) with all cherry, and I thought both fish and fowl had too much of a "bite" to the smoke.  Since that time, I switched to using a mix of mostly other woods, especially apple, along with cherry and it's a great combo. Just my $.02

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Baldrick615

What do yourecommend to blend with Mesquite?  I was thinking of doing a brisket with 1 mesquite / 2 oaks.  Do you think this would be too bitter?

BigSmoker

I find the Bradley Mesquite to be quite strong and prefer not to use it at all.  That of course is my opinion.  If you like a strong heavy flavor this should not be a bad mix 1 mes. to 2 oak.  Have fun and happy smokin'.

Jeff

SoupGuy

Hickory is by far both the favorite and most versitle wood to smoke with. Hands down. For ANYTHING.

It is not strong/over-bearing like say, Mesquite or Oak. Hickory is in the same family as Pecan tree. Both are good, Hickory being far more abundant and available to North America (South too).

Honestly- most people will not readily be able to tell what wood was used to smoke something. I could certainly fool the Pecan advocate using Hickory or even Maple. A big mistake people make is associating the flavor of the fruit with the flavor of the wood. NOT SO!

Using Apple or Cherry wood will NOT impart a Apple or Cherry flavor to the end product. If that is the flavor you really want, try basting your product with its juice AFTER you have completed smoking.

To each his own. Most people enjoy smoked goodies where the smoke flavor Enhances the taste but does not dominate it. If you like pork ribs that taste like a tree, try adding bark to your sauce rather than smoking it for 48 hours!

A good BBQ should taste like whatever you are cooking with the adition of smoke-flavoring- NOT mostly like the wood you used to smoke with! You wouldn't throw 14 LBS of salt on a steak just because you like salt would you? Moderation!

I've said it before, Hickory is my favorite for most things. But I DO have one rather strange liking to Pear-tree wood. Very hard to find but really an awesome conveyance of flavor.

Smoke on!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

nsxbill

I love pecan and alder!  Haven't tried Hickory yet, but on the agenda.  Oak is good too, but as described can be a little heavy.  I mix them up to mellow down.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

calatexmex

Here is my vote.

Hickory-----Pork Butts, Ham, Chuck Roast. (Don't Do Brisket)[xx(]
Apple-------Ribs, Jerky, chicken, Salmon
Used Alder for the first time for last salmon smoke. Not bad.
Hickory for strong smoke foavor.
Apple for more milder smoke.

Mike C