Maverick-73 Problems

Started by bigcatdaddy, July 13, 2008, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

Has anyone had any problems with the Maverick-73.  I just went out to get a smoke going and for some reason I can't get the food probe to read correctly.  I changed the batteries hoping that would solve the problem, but no luck.  I took the probe and set it in a glass of ice water and the reading only went down to 135 degrees.  What do you think may be the problem?

Thanks
BCD

Arcs_n_Sparks

BCD,

For us E.E.-types, BCD is binary coded decimal....

Okay, back to your problem. Do you have two probes? If so, take the oven probe and insert it into the food socket. If it reads okay, then the probe is toast. Has it gotten wet? Some have killed it that way.

Arcs_n_Sparks

bigcatdaddy

Mr Walleye

BCD

Try swapping your probes around. That way you will see if it's just the probe. If it is you can order them directly from Maverick. In fact you can get longer ones I believe.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Opps!  ::)

Arcs is a little quicker than me today.

Mike

bigcatdaddy

I switched and it gives me a correct reading of the CT when inserted into the food port.

Mr Walleye

That sounds like a problem!

So, you are using the food probe and just pluging it into the "smoker" and the "food" jack on the unit... and it works in the smoker jack but not the food jack?

Here is a link to their web site: http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm

I would either give them a call or depending where you bought it you could try and return it.

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 13, 2008, 03:41:53 PM
Opps!  ::)

Arcs is a little quicker than me today.

Only because Happy Hour is still 90 seconds away.   :D

Sounds like the food probe is toast. If I read BCD's reply correctly, he took the oven probe and inserted it into the food socket and correctly read the cabinet temperature (both probes are electrically the same).

FLBentRider

I learned that those probes do NOT like water, especially at the joint where the wire goes into the probe end.

I had to replace my probe(s) once already.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigcatdaddy

Arc's is correct.  I put the smokerCT probe into the food jack(port) and it gave me the correct reading of the CT, so I'm thinking that the probe is screwed up!

Mr Walleye

Ahhh... Arcs is correct... Happy hour already started here!  :D

If you go to this page.. http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts_and_service.htm

There is a link to order new probes. You can get 6 foot high temp probes as well.

Mike

bigcatdaddy

Looks like I'll have to do this smoke the old fashion way.  The Maverick has made me lazy.  I love the internet and the good help I've received.  I just placed an order with the Maverick website for a new 6' food probe.  $17.00.  I must have got it wet or something.  Oh well!!!

Mr Walleye

When you clean your probe make sure you don't get any water on the braided wire portion. I usually just clean the probe itself. Like FLBentRider said they really don't like getting wet there.

Mike

bigcatdaddy

Mike,

More than likely thats what happened.  Now I wonder when the other probe may go.  Hmmm. maybe I should of ordered that one to.  I'll just runner til she drops and then order that one.

Todd

Arcs_n_Sparks

BCD,

If you see how the front cabinet thermometer tracks relative to the '73 measurement, you could depend upon the door thermometer for the cabinet temp (applying any necessary adjustment), and use the cabinet probe as the food probe for awhile.

Arcs_n_Sparks