Bacon wrapped chicken rolls...

Started by aces-n-eights, July 14, 2008, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aces-n-eights

This is definitely a winner at our house!  I want to tweak a great recipe.

My question is about the bacon...

It seems to me the chicken is done before the bacon gets crispy.  My wife and i both like bacon crispy, not charcoal, but not rubbery.  So what i did was fire up the grill and sear them after they came out of the smoker.  This actually worked too well, because the drippings caused the coals to ignite and i had a flaming grill.  I thought about maybe pan frying them or placing them under the broiler just long enough to crisp the bacon.

Any thoughts?  Looking forward to the wisdom that is sure to follow!   ;D  Thanks!  :)
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Gizmo

I have fried them up but the grill works as well.  Just need to place a foil pan under the bacon and use high indirect heating.  The bacon will crisp up and the fat will fall into the pan.  You can drain off the bacon fat and place it into a jar with a lid, put it in the fridge and use it for cooking later if you want the flavor of bacon in any dish where you would normally use some kind of cooking oil.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

I have stated to cook them up a bit before the wrap. Not completly cooked cuz I want them to stretch a bit when wrap happens (let it cool and roll in a paper towel, just for comfort).

Not as pretty but it gives the bacon a head start.  I cant say the bacon is crispy when the chicken is done but it is cooked completely- and that is what I really cared about. 

I am probably not as smart as the bacon but to get a similar result the grill had to be really hot and there was more handling and cheese loss than I liked. I think there is too much moisture in the chicken, on the back side of the bacon to get it really crispy.

The broiler may be a good idea since the handling is minimal. I will try your idea and Gizmos approach next time. May be back to pretty and effective without a lot of leaks.

The things are killer good though  ;D  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

We put ours under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes per side, cooks the bacon nicely.

And it makes the house smell like bacon wrapped chicken rolls.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

vicat

I have made these several times... in fact I smoked seven on Sunday. After 2.5 hours in the Bradley I finish them off in the oven at 250 F. to an internal temp of 180 F....they come out perfect!

Frank

aces-n-eights

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 15, 2008, 03:06:08 AM

And it makes the house smell like bacon wrapped chicken rolls.

Perfect!  Thanks for all the replies!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Snake River Smoker

Can you forward the recipe for this, sounds great. ;)

deb415611

Snake River Smoker,

Go up to one of FLBentRider's posts and click on the picture of the ribs.  That will take you to the recipe site.  The recipe is over there.

Deb

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

josbocc

Those things look absolutely AWESOME.  Momma loves chicken, loves cheese, and loves bacon.  I might be able to get away with buying good beer if I can fire up something like that  ;D 

This forum is great..., but I'm afraid I'm gonna weigh about 400 lbs. before I try even half of the recipes.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Jazzbone

I tried these this past weekend and they turned out perfect.  I did add a nice coating of cajun seasoning over top the whole thing after the bacon was in place and it added just that extra spice kick to it...
Mmmm...wish I took some pics for ya's...will definitley grab the camera next time as these will definitley be in the rotation now.

Jazzbone

bflosmoke

They do look great . Hopefully this weekend or maybe brisket or ribs or ABTs or.......................................!!!!