Beef ribs - to boil or not

Started by weekendsmoker, July 15, 2008, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi, just bought some really nice looking roadhouse beef ribs and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about doing them.  The butcher said to boil them, in coke, vinegar and garlic and then bbq for 2 hrs.  I would like to try this but don't want to lose out on using the smoker to get some nice smoke applied.  I have on;y ever done pork ribs.  What order would you suggest and is it even possible to combine the two methods?

Thanks,

Jason.

westexasmoker

I wouldn't go the boiling route, I've done it before...it was along time ago, but there was something I didn't like!  Remove the membrane, I go with a simple rub, I don't do the cym on beef ribs, let em rest on the counter while the smoker comes up to temp...220 is what I shoot for pop in for 3-4 hours of mesquite and just as the meat starts to pull away and the edge, pull and throw into the crock pot with some beer and Q sauce for another hour or so; or let the meat just pull a smidge more in smoker and onto your grill mop with the beer q sauce and your good to go!  The main thing I watch for is the meat pulling back from the bone, not just a time frame!  Hope I help a little!  Good Luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

My opinion:
Don't boil the meat unless you want to make rib soup.  >:(

La Quinta

westexasmoker

Ditto....look pens and LQ  agreed with me..They'll be using only mesquite in no time!  ::)

C

FLBentRider

There's a thread here somewhere from iceman describing why not to boil ribs, unless you are making soup.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Don't bet on that WTS!! :) But...with beef ribs...it's a POSSIBILITY....and that's as far as I'll go...:)

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

weekendsmoker

Thanks guys and thanks for the link, I will never contemplate boiling again.

HCT

I can't even concieve the thought of boiling any type of rib. I don't think that butcher has the sharpest knife in the block. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

firerescueman

QuoteI don't think that butcher has the sharpest knife in the block.

Nope....   I think you're wrong.    His knives may be sharp......

This butcher simply doesn't own a Bradley....  He doesn't know any other way to make his ribs tender. ::)

LOL

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

FLBentRider

Then trade him an OBS for a freezer full of meat....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MWS

I love the dinosaur bones.........

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

westexasmoker

Now thats what I'm talking about!  Those look great MWS!  Why would anybody want to boil those beauties!

C

La Quinta

In truth I have a lot of friends that steam their ribs first (in beer) and then onto the grill.... they swear by the method. I've had them and they come out ok....no smoking involved though.