Beef ribs - to boil or not

Started by weekendsmoker, July 15, 2008, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Hey LQ now thats kinda interesting is that just in normal steaming basket?  And I suppose its to infuse some moisture into them.  Maybe a steam, a rub, a smoke and onto the grill....Almost sounds like a spa for ribs!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

WTS, great minds think alike! I use mesquite on occasion, just not on everything that moves.  ;D I like it on beef ribs mainly. I think brisket would be great also. But I love my apple and hickory!

LQ, I could go along with the steaming idea as long as it is not for a long time where it would start replacing the meat juices with the steaming liquid. A short steam to impart some flavor and some moisture doesn't sound bad at all. You can add whatever to the beer for the steaming to add more flavor, such as broth, garlic, herbs and of course habaneros!  ;)

La Quinta

They steam them for maybe...15 minutes (my one friend does them in a steamer basket in a wok) ....then a normal grill session...rub after the steam bath...then grill...slather with sauce for the last few minutes...the normal stuff. I've had both pork and beef this way...and always thought the beef benefited more (probably less fat was the reason). Anyhoo...they came out ok. Not a method that I employ but...what the hell do I know!!! :)

iceman

Just caught this thread.
I agree with HCT. Never boil ribs, period unless you want to make soup base. It takes the flavor right out of the meat. If I would have ever mentioned boiling ribs in CISC class they would have kicked me out.  :D ;)