Make your own "Bubba Pucks"

Started by Glassguy, July 16, 2008, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bengomez

Quote from: got smoke? on August 22, 2008, 08:46:41 AM
Made some homemade ALUMINUM BUBBA PUCKS using some 1/4" ALUMINUM plate (actually was an aluminum skid plate from the junkyard).  Used a bi-metal hole saw to cut out 2 disks.  Threaded the 2 disks together with a steel lag screw to acheive the 1/2" thickness of a wood puck.  Trimmed the steel lag screw flush on both sides of the puck and cleaned up any sharp edges.  I made the required 3 pucks so I get that last wood puck advanced to the burn plate.

The steel lag screw center is great for magnet retreival from the feed tube or the water dish if you need.  When they get too funky to wash I use my bench grinder wire wheel and they are good as new.   ;D
Aluminum plate made BUBBA PUCKS... it will looks very clean and weight less...

Roadking

Just finished them up last night.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Roadking on March 08, 2009, 10:51:58 AM
Just finished them up last night.

Good job RoadKing!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

yes it is. Those will work.

nepas

Crackerssouth

I too made my own "Bubba Pucks"... peice of 8" aluminum, 1/2" thick x 2 1/2" wide, cut 3 pucks with a 2 1/4"  hole saw.... yeah, that took forever, a little dressing up on the grinder and polishing wheel. Total cost $10. Would have actually bought them except for $28 for the pucks and $24 to ship, all US dollars. Seemed a little exspensive. You can actually buy 2 1/4" aluminun round rod and just slice them off, but it's about $60 a foot.

Roadking

Or you take a ride to where assembly plants or factories are. You'd be surprised what they throw out. Made mine for free just cost me some time and being retire I've got allot of time on my hands.

NePaSmoKer

Sometimes its good to have time on your hands  ;D

nepas

Roadking

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 05, 2009, 12:16:25 PM
Sometimes its good to have time on your hands  ;D

nepas
You and I wouldn't know, would we! :o ;D :o ;D

georgeamer

I cut a puck out of plywood then paste aluminum foil over it....works great!
George

Lanticor

Hey guys, here's a cheap solution to bubba pucks, only $5 to make and a few mins of your time. Go to your local hardware store, get the aluminum flat steel 1/8" x 1/2" x 3'. Use your vise grips and your bench vice. bend the aluminum steel around till its approx 2 - 1/4", cut it off and you're done ! hope this helps !

viper125

Well I have 6 of them, but before i did i was using regular Black plumbing pipe with a 2 1/4 out side diameter. Slice with a hack saw or saws all and they work great. Even 2 1/4 wooden dowel rod foil wrapped would work.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

coolsmoker

Quote from: Crackerssouth on April 05, 2009, 10:26:52 AM
I too made my own "Bubba Pucks"... peice of 8" aluminum, 1/2" thick x 2 1/2" wide, cut 3 pucks with a 2 1/4"  hole saw.... yeah, that took forever, a little dressing up on the grinder and polishing wheel. Total cost $10. Would have actually bought them except for $28 for the pucks and $24 to ship, all US dollars. Seemed a little exspensive. You can actually buy 2 1/4" aluminun round rod and just slice them off, but it's about $60 a foot.

Not sure which pucks you were looking at, but they are under $23 with free shipping on ebay right now.  Just search 'bradley pucks' on ebay to find them.

dirt1008

Quote from: coherent on August 22, 2008, 11:44:01 AM
hmmm... I'm still "practicing" with my OBS, but can see what a help using these "Bubba Pucks" would be. I have a cnc plasma cutting business and can cut and weld about any shape etc. Has anyone tried fabricating their own? Saw that aluminum was used for these. I suppose that's to keep the weight down? Heat retention too? I have lots of aluminum sheet, copper sheet, steel sheet and so on. Are the originals solid or hollow? Obviously solid round aluminum bar that diameter would work if sliced but would cost more and be heavier...  Seems like I could fabricate some hollow ones out of copper or aluminum that would be light and disperse heat quickly for an awful lot less? Any thoughts or ideas regarding weight or type metal and would others be interested if I could pass on/offer in sets of three to forum members cheaper (close to fabricating cost/shipping)?
sign me up

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: dirt1008 on March 13, 2013, 04:03:43 AM
Quote from: coherent on August 22, 2008, 11:44:01 AM
hmmm... I'm still "practicing" with my OBS, but can see what a help using these "Bubba Pucks" would be. I have a cnc plasma cutting business and can cut and weld about any shape etc. Has anyone tried fabricating their own? Saw that aluminum was used for these. I suppose that's to keep the weight down? Heat retention too? I have lots of aluminum sheet, copper sheet, steel sheet and so on. Are the originals solid or hollow? Obviously solid round aluminum bar that diameter would work if sliced but would cost more and be heavier...  Seems like I could fabricate some hollow ones out of copper or aluminum that would be light and disperse heat quickly for an awful lot less? Any thoughts or ideas regarding weight or type metal and would others be interested if I could pass on/offer in sets of three to forum members cheaper (close to fabricating cost/shipping)?
sign me up

4 year old post and some of these members dont even come around anymore so you may be SOL unless you buy from someone online.

Fireguy06

I made my own by taking a 1 1/4 rigid aluminum pipe coupling and cut it the thickness of the pucks have used them twice now and they work great to safe pucks that don't need burned up.
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill